pushing with the 1st baby vs. pushing with the 2nd baby

i would love to hear your all's experiences with pushing and whether it was different with your first and 2nd, 3rd, etc baby. particularly natural, but epidural too if you felt like it was different with 1st and 2nd.

thanks!

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My first, waterbirth, was in a reclining position. Things were going slowly, as they might often do in that position, and I had directed pushing for a part of the 2 hours. I was frustrated, it was tiring, I literally was sleeping between pushing-contractions.

My second, another waterbirth, was all-natural pushing. I leaned forward and did NO intentional pushing. In fact, the opposite: I tried to breathe-focus-speak to baby to slow things down. It was SO much better!!! :-) Almost a caul baby!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• had an epi with my 1st, it didn't work, i pushed for a long time (don't remember the exact time) and she was big, had to have an episiotomy

with the 2nd i had an epi and it worked, i pushed for about 15 minutes, he was big too and had an episiotomy with him as well
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• With my 1st baby I don't remember feeling the urge to push. I pushed for 20 minutes and only pushed when my doctor told me to. With my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th children I pushed when I felt the urge. I pushed less then 5 minutes #2, tried not to push with #3 and pushed 2 times with #4. I didn't have an epi with any of them.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 5:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I had an epidural with both, although my first was a very light epidural where I could feel everything and still get up and walk, and my second epidural made me completely numb so all I felt was pressure. I had a very strong urge to push with both, but I found it easier to push with my second. Maybe because I was totally numb or maybe because I had done it before. I pushed 54 minutes with my first and 6 minutes with my second. Both times, pushing was the easiest part of my labor.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I pushed for 2.5 hours w/ my first and w/ my second I didn't push at all he pushed himself out and he came very fast!!
    ambergrace612

Answer by ambergrace612 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• well with myf irst i had a failes epidural. i also had a 4th degree tear. pushed for about 8 mts.
    second, epidural worked but it worth off in time for pushing, push for about 6mts no tears
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• thanks ladies! i am hoping for a quick pushing phase with my 2nd. haha. it was 1 hour with my first but seemed like 2 to me ;) i also want to do the natural pushing. i couldn't really pick a best answer... hmm... thanks again!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2009