Sick dog...could it be his food?

My dog has been sick to his stomach here lately just about every time he eats. I'm thinking it could be his food, but we've tried a few different kinds. Is there any dog food for pups with sensitive tummies that we can try? Would it hurt him to give him puppy food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pets

• he could have parvo, call the vet and describe all symptoms to them, if it is parvo he'll die if untreated
    Anonymous

• Does he have all of his shots?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Yes he has his shots and he is still his happy and cheerful self. He doesn't seem to be in any pain or distress. He still plays and everything.
    Anonymous

• You didn't say how old your fur baby is..So giving puppy food on a sick tummy may not help. Other signs that you need to look for is his stool soft,is he constipated?? Lots of things could be happening, so a vet trip might be in order. Always ck with the vet as they know what meds he may need or the food also to help him out..Good luck, I hope he feels better soon.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 5:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Changing food too much can upset their tummy as well. Maybe take away the food for 24 hours and only offer water until their tummy has settled down. Then try lamb and rice, it's what we feed ours and it seems to agree better with their tummy than the other stuff. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Are you mixing the old with the new or just changing the foods. If you are just changing diets suddenly that could be the cause. I personally do not like the foods you typically find at the pets store or grocery store. I get mine from a specialty pet store and only feed mine holistc diets the food is so much better for them with better quality ingrediants. If he does not get better though he may need to bee seen by the vet
    check out this website before switching foods again it gives a lot of good info about the differant diets the pros and cons of each
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Call your vet and ask them. Changing food a lot is not good either. My dog is on Eukenuba (sp?).
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 10:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Top_9_Healthiest_Dog_Foods

Read through this. I am giving my dog Wellness. It is amazing the difference. He looks so much healthier. His coat is almost glowing. Not to mention he has a lot more energy (good thing??) and he doesn't have to eat as much either since it has a lot of calories per serving. Good Luck!

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 12:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I would fast him for 24 hours, then feed him a bland diet of boiled chicken (or ground beef) and rice until his vomiting/diarrhea (you didn't say which, just that he's sick to his stomach) clears up. 100% canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) is also good for clearing up diarrhea. Then slowly switch him back over to his current food. If the symptoms come back, it probably is the food. If the symptoms don't go away with the fasting/bland diet, something else is going on and he'll need to go to the vet. I want to second the dogfoodanalysis web site. You will be surprised at how the most popular brands rate! I would not feed anything that gets less than 4 stars. If you see a food that you like, go to their web site to find where to buy the food. My dogs are on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. It is grain free and is rated at 5 stars. I get it at the feed store for $42.50 for 30lbs. That may seem high at first...cont
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• but with the higher quality foods you will have to feed WAY less because it doesn't contain all of the fillers/byproducts/nasty chemicals that the lower quality foods contain, plus your dog will be healthier (hence fewer vet visits) and there will be less cleanup in the back yard. My 37lb dog only eats 1.5 cups/day and my 25lb dog only eats 1 cup/day. They only poop ONCE (maybe twice) per day at it is VERY small.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:38 AM on Nov. 11, 2009