Home School The Pros And Cons (and cons, and cons, and cons...)

why is it that because a parent CAN home school, they feel that they are in any way qualified to do so?

or that it is in any way, shape, or form beneficial to the child (especially when taking into consideration the broader picture of adulthood, and becoming a functioning participant in society)?

parents are quick to defend their "right" to school their child as they wish- but to what sacrifice?

very rarely does a child/young adult enter society from the "safety" of their parents shelter and control, prepared for reality. even more rare, is the individual that actually received adequate education beneath a home school umbrella, and is capable of functioning in society. that stated, why would a parent become so delusional as to believe that they are actually "helping" their child learn to function? why in this day and age is it still considered constitutional to permanently handicap your child?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 5:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think you're arguing to the extreme of the other end of the spectrum. Not all home schooled children are geniuses, just like not all public schooled children are heathens, and vice versa.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Oh here it comes good luck with this one, but I do have to say EVERY home schooled person I have met in college wear dressed very conservatively to the point of being embarrasing like really short tailored pants on the guys and like wool sweaters and messy hair on the girls, and they were all sorry to say but odd and socially inept. The only people many of them had spent time with was their families and sometimes church members and then other home schooled children. Sorry but this is just my absolutely true experience so far.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 5:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Who says homeschooled children are permently handicapped? As with anything, there are right ways and wrong ways to approach. I started homeschooling my children this year because of all the "junk" that society was adding to them from public school. I will teach them the basics (because I have researched what those basics should be) as well as the tools necessary to function in society. I was told last year by a principal that if I wanted a better education for my child, they would need to go to a private school. This was all because of behaviour issues in the classroom that the teacher couldn't control. My child at age 10 told me she was not learning anything at school because of this. I dare say, that I am able to tailor her education to her needs better than any teacher with 25+ other students.
    That's my 2-cents worth. BTW: I AM qualified to teach my children -- probably more so than anyone else.
    MaeI

Answer by MaeI at 5:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• EVERY homeschooled adult that I've met in person has been very well adjusted with families of their own. They've all gone to college, are intelligent, have well-paying professions and are pleasant people to be around.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have to agree that not all children who are homeschooled receive a quality education. However, I still feel it is the parent's right to do so if they choose. If a parent can provide their child with enough education to be self sufficient as an adult then again, they should have the right to homeschool.

It only becomes my concern when the child is unproductive as an adult and must be supported through public assistance. Of course there are many public school kids that are unproductive adults too.

Personally, I feel the best alternative for children is a private school tailored to the child's intelligence and learning style. Unfortunately that isn't available for most of us.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 5:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I think before you start to judge the results of homeschooling you should look into the studies that have been done compairing homeschoolers to their public schooled peers. I know a large number of adults who were raised homeschooled. THey do stand out. Most are well adjusted, goal oriented, hardworking adults. I have yet to meet this stero type of these overly protected homeschoolers who hit adult hood and just go crazy. On the other hand I know quite a few public school kids who became delinquents well before they even hit adult hood. Now, my homschool friend in college did tell me that some college experiances have been a shock to her, but she has adjusted and feels that her upbringing has made it easier for her to turn her back on negitive behaviors... the thing she struggles with the most is how many college students could care less about their education.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• popcorn

Anonymous

• My husband was homeschooled and homechurched and while he's not socially inept, he is very bad off academically. It's really sad, because he's very intelligent and wants to learn, but he has much more to learn than he should at his age. He knows nothing about history or literature or math beyond algebra or anything. His family has homeschooled most of the kids in the family and NONE of them even managed to get their GED. They get the kids to high school level and then the material is too hard for them so they give up and let the kids just do whatever. My husband begged to be able to go to the local high school and wasn't allowed. He's trying to get his GED now so he can start taking courses at our community college. Nobody in his family as far as I know has been to college.
    If you aren't pretty damn intelligent and well-educated yourself, you have no place trying to homeschool in my opinion.
    Beichan

Answer by Beichan at 5:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Do you teach your kids their abc's and 123's?? Do you teach them to write their name? You teach them to eat by starting them with different foods YOu teach them to clap their hands and say words. Am I correct? So why couldn't you homeschool them? Its not for everyone. But don't judge others who do.
    Anonymous

• Homeschool is not for everyone. If a parent does not fully commit, the child will fail - same outcome when public school teachers/parents do not fully commit. I think the majority of homeschoolers become a "functioning participant in society" right off the bat. They learn to interact with people of all ages/races/social status, not just with kids who fit into their "clicks". They are not forced to have to get permission to take a pee. They are not sitting in a room full of children whom they model after. I'm glad there are children out there who are exposed to a variety of people and get an early understanding of how the "real world' really works. It's not a reality tv show, you know, like most public school kids think. I'm not saying all ps kids are unrealistic in their view of the world, but they sure do have way more influence.
    Anonymous