Christians-- True Repentence

I was thinking about the whole Miss California scandal and about how her life discredited her beliefs (even if it was all in the past). I was thinking about all the hypocrisy and drama that Christians can sometimes find themselves in, and then I read this devotion just now and I thought I would share it.

Not only is repentence necessary for a relationship with God, but living in true (humble) holiness is necessary for other people to respect us.

I was wondering what you thought about this devotion:
http://www.harvest.org/devotional/
Link below : )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 5:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm hijacking, don't kill me!

but living in true (humble) holiness is necessary for other people to respect us.

This part fascinates me. It's the whole forgiveness vs respect thing again. I frequently get the impression that people don't care if they are respected because it's only what god/Jesus thinks that matters. But at the same time, without respect, nobody will take you seriously, and when you try to tell them about what you believe, they ignore you because they have no respect for you. I think that's the heart of the whole "judgmental, why do you judge" debate. Too many people want the privilege of judging without first earning the respect that gives their judgment any weight.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Lightening has struck twice! LOL! First I agree with something IHartU posted in R&B and now I agree with NotPanicking.

I believe that the devotion is to suggest that we live by example and I agree wholeheartedly with it. NP, What God thinks IS what matters......BUT......your point is valid. If someone enters a room like a bull in a china shop they aren't going to be there long enough for anyone to earn respect for them or take a moment to truly hear what they have to say. If I used a large portion of what I've seen posted on this site as a basis of whether or not to consider Christianity as my faith, I probably wouldn't be.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Not Panicking, I totally agree.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Not Panicking... you hit nail on the head Woman! :-)
    It truly amazes me when non christians see it and religious christians don't :( I say religious because its the ones who have a true relationship with Christ that sees it. They are the ones that live under grace and not under law.
    Cinnomon Mom... true repentence reveals beautiful and good fruit... unrepentence does not
    Its it that fruit that needs to be seen and respected... but people seem to look for the bad once instead. One thing at my church is that we look for the good withing the hearts of the people.. yes we see the bad but when we speak out the good they have a more willing heart to change the bad.. but when we first point out the sin, it is degrading at best. True repentence happens when a brother or sister comes to us in love and tells us how precious we are but lets us know in gentleness and lovingkindness that something that we are doing wrong may ....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• hinder us or others and to encourage us to change that thing. Without this kind of correction in love the person will not want to repent and go off very wounded and torn. Many like this leave the church.
    I am fortunate to find a church finally that will love you even if you screw up but help you through it and encourage repentence for we are under grace no longer under the law. Christ already paid the price for us but many don't have that revelation and still live under the law.

ok Im babbling hehe my favorite topic haha
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Shaneagle that is soooooo true. God spoke to me about that last week, only in relation to my dd. I couldn't figure out why she was getting so mad when I was disciplining her. She would do something wrong, and then after I disciplined her she would throw a huge anger fit. I was praying about it and the Lord told me that it was because of HOW I was disciplining her.

I was showing my frustration at her and she felt really really bad about it, so it produced anger instead of repentence. He gave me the verse, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger." Proverbs 15:1. Then He gave me confirmation through a book I was reading that said the same thing. Then my other devotion was talking about the power of blessing and building up people. It was all on the same day. He totally blows my mind!!! What a great way to answer prayer. And it has been working, her anger fits are gone.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• NotPanicking- please go post that on the latest Catholic bashing thread.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 8:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would except I have a pretty good idea who that troll is - as far as she's concerned I'm more evil than a *gasp* Catholic.

eye rolling

I look at it this way - if anyone that psychotic doesn't like you, it should be a complement.  Who would WANT their approval or to be in any way associated with them?

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i agree w/ everything posted here...so much so that i wouldnt have the room to quote all the great thoughts i agree w/.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009