How can I gain weight? (in a healthy way)

I am 5'8" tall and weigh 116lbs. I just had a baby 5 months ago and I had only gained 22lbs during pregnancy, once I had him it was all gone. I don't like being so skinny, I want to look healthy. Any healthy ideas on how to gain weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Wow that is skinny for your height! I would try the Abs diet or the Eat Clean diet (both healthy ways of eating that if you follow the guidelines but up your calories you should gain a little) I'd also try to gain some muscle mass, then you can stay fairly lean without looking sickly/scrawny. Good luck!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Eat healthy fats. More whole grain carbs. Add in muscle training exercise. Healthy fats include olive oil, avocadoes, fish, nuts, stuff like that. You can buy resistance bands, hand weights, and a medicine ball to help with building muscle at home too. Good luck!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Oh, and figure out your amount of calories you need per day to maintain your weight, and then add 250 calories a day to that. That way you should gain about 2-3 lbs a month.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• If you're breastfeeding you're probably burning an extra 500 cal a day, so don't forget to account for that!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• you need to eat protein (turkey fish steak tuna chicken etc) before and after you do strength training (weight machines, etc.) ... protein builds muscle, so you will gain lean muscle instead of fat. you want a bigger butt? eat some tuna, go to the gym and do a butt machine, or do squats in your living room, and then eat tuna again .. etc.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Muscle weighs more than fat and looks better too. So start working out and eat lots of healthy fat foods like avocados, peanut butter, eggs, and cheese. And don't eat a lot of tuna...it is dangerously high in mercury.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 6:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Add extra calories with Ensure. They have all the nutritional value in it.

Anonymous