Is this "Generation-I"?

I was reading another devotion just now and it was so interesting. Greg Laurie said that this could be the iGeneration because we think it is all about us.

He says, " It is all about our getting what we want, when we want to get it. Now that we can get our information on demand, we don't want to be told what we can see or hear—or let others decide when we can hear and see it. We want what we want, and we want it when we want it. And many are taking the same approach to morality."

He also says, "The Bible describes a time in Israel's history when "everyone did what was right in his own eyes" (Judges 17:6). But I also think that is a good description of our time. Rather than living by a set of absolute standards like the Ten Commandments, many people are making up their own standards and using a sliding scale for morality, thinking they are at least better than the next person."

Watcha think?

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 5:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It should be the Generation U :-) The youth in my church are learning about who they are in Christ so that that can be influencatial in the world to show people who they are in Him. When we recgonise the I am precious, I am loved, I am forgiven then we can let people know that U are precious, U are loved and U are forgiven.... it does start with us first then the fire spreads...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i agree with him
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Nothing new. If you were born in the 70's you are from what was called the "Me" generation. We tried to make our girls into liberated young women with feminism, and ended up with mini-whores even more interested in what their men want than what THEY want than the generation before. We can't win for losing.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I think Greg Laurie is another one that over generalizes. I suppose his generation was so much better.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I also heard this teaching by Greg on A New Begining (on a local Christian station). I most certainly believe he is right. The evidence is everywhere from morality, to the state of our economy, to what's going on even in the churches and in the minds, hearts and lives of those who believe as well as those who don't.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i think this sums it up pretty well.
    Ecclesiastes 1:9 (NIV)- ''What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. ''
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Idk, I tend to agree with what teamquinn said.

I'm a GenXer. We were seen as lazy, slackers, etc. Yet my generation created many of the things we now use every day on the internet and take for granted (google, youtube, amazon). Must not be too lazy huh? I think it's easy to label a generation while they're young, but it usually ends up being an incorrect label. Besides, I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by generation. Do you mean all people living right now, young and old? Or do you mean the actual definition of a generation, and therefore you mean the young people of today.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I think this (or something very similar) has been said about every generation by the generation that came before! I think it's a nostalgia trip... we miss the good old days and tend to forget that they weren't always that great.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• More people ARE making up their own morals....and, maybe just a coincidence, but the world is MUCH less violent than it used to be. Hmmm....
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009