please help

I was running with my 2 german shepherds and my running stroller with my baby in it and a small terrier that was unleashed came running towards us. I saw the owner so I yelled out "please get your dog" but it was too late, he ran toward my dogs (that were both leashed) but one of my dogs bit him. He was bleeding. I asked if there was anything I could do but the lady just ignored me and took her dog in. I feel awful. But isn't it her fault? My dogs were leashed and hers ran up to mine. But then again once he got to my dogs I couldn't stop mine from biting him, so am I to blame too?
Input is appreciated thanks. Still shaken up over the other dog that got bit and feeling responsible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pets

• Just make sure you have your shot records handy. If it would make you feel better maybe stop in and talk to her. Hers should have been leashed so it was really out of your hands. You are only responsible for your pets and you were so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just show her you're concerned and she should understand. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I woud check into the pet laws in your area. Is there a leash law. I would think it is the other owners fault for not having control her her dog but make sure you have your shot records handy in case she calls animal control. You might also get a can od Direct stop to carry with you. It is like mace but made for dogs so it is non toxic and won't hurt them. It works well i got it after a dog jumped her fence and attacked one of my dogs. Both of mine were on leash and the one she jumped was recovering from a leg injury and she took him by surprise. Wish i had had it that day but i never go on walks without it now.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would think it is most defintely her fault for not having her dog on a leash.
    Anonymous

• Yes direct stop is awesome! We use that at work to stop dog fights in the daycare or if a dog comes at us. They come with cases that can clip right onto your side. I'd say you shouldnt get into much trouble here. You gave as much warning as you possibly could and your dogs were leashed and were protecting you and your baby. Of course if I were the terrier's owners I'd be upset, but I'd also know to take the blame for letting it run loose.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 12:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It is definitely the terrier owner's fault. I hate irresponsible dog owners! I can't even take my dogs for a walk anymore because of all the loose dogs in our neighborhood. I live in the county so we don't even have a leash law...which makes no sense whatsoever! Just make sure you have your dogs' shot records handy just in case.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It is her fault. She was not in control of her dog. Check your local leash laws. She may be ticketed.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2009