What do you do to discipline your children?

I am looking for some suggestions for discipling my children. They are 6 yrs old and 9 yrs old, way old enough to know better, and lately the 6 yr old has been really mouthing off to me, lying to me, misbehaving in school, etc. And the 9 yr old has been lying to me, and giving me a major attitude. So I am looking for some help. The methods of discipline I have been using hasnt been helping. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I use many different forms of punishment. I take away TV time, put them in the corner, make them go to their rooms, and yes I even spank when called for. Punishments work differently for every child. I would have rather been sent to my room than to get a spanking and my brother would have rather been spanked all day long than to be made to stand in the corner. You just really have to find out what works best for each child. As for the 9 year old attitude I would remind them that everything they have is a privilege and can be taken away. You have to be consistent, that's the key!

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Maybe you could watch the super nanny or get a book with your children's ages and see if they give you some different methods to try. Mine are younger. You need to nip that attitude thing in the bud now! I would sit them in a boring room, not their own for like 20 mins?
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have a 6 year old son and an 8 year old daughter. With my son, I don't let him go outside to play. We live in the country and he hates to be inside. He will stay outside from dawn to dusk if I let him, just playing, riding his bike, building forts, etc.... So as punishment, I don't let him go outside. It's the only thing I've found that works. For my daughter, I take things away, such as computer time, sleepovers, birthday parties, etc... It just depends on what she did and what's going on at the time. I don't have very many problems with her. My son on the other hand has been a terror since he turned 6. I told him I was putting him up for adoption or returning him to the hospital for a refund. He just laughed.
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 5:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I use Love and Logic. You can find a copy in your local library and almost all book stores carry a copy. I highly suggest it to all parents. As far as day to day discipline I use love, compassion, understanding, and logical consequences. Good transitions also help from one activity to the next and I rely heavily on routine. Not a schedule but definitely a routine. How to give you examples of what might be useful to you? Well, in one post I doubt you will find one ah ha! moment. There are so many good techniques and ways for you to cope and teach. I would say if you are really interested in finding new ways to check out several parenting books, skim them, take what makes sense, try it, and dump what doesn't work. Keep what you find useful. It is always about trial and error...no parent is perfect. It is hard raising kids but kids would say it is hard raising parents. Both are true. Read, try, and keep trying.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• When a child does something that is unacceptable behavior you tell them that, AND you tell them WHY. And then tell them what the consequence will be the next time they act in an unacceptable way. And then FOLLOW THROUGH EVERY SINGLE TIME. Make sure after they have sucessfully completed their consequence how proud you are of them. The consequence should be busy work. (ex: chores, physical labor) If they just sit in a room they will go crazy. If they help with dishes or feed the pets or take out garbage, or mop the floor (even though you will have to supervise) the message gets across to children this age much more clearly.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I use SOS for Parents and it seems to be working pretty well. It's easy to read and gives specific details about when and how to discipline. It details behaviors that respond to different types of discipline...natural consequences, logical consequences, etc. See if your library has it. It's a quick read.
    char944

Answer by char944 at 7:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2009