Moments when you know everyone thinks you're a terrible mother.

You know those moments when you are in the grocery store or some place like that and your child decides that this is the perfect time to do something you have never seen them do before? I had one of those moments today. I'm pregnant with my second and ever since my toddler found out he has been extremely disruptive, I don't know what to do about it other then love him and discipline him when he is bad but we were in the gas station today buying him a juice and while I'm paying he lets go of my hand and runs out the front doors he got outside when a stranger caught him. Everyone stared at me until we left, and you could tell they were being judgemental. Does anyone have any moments like that they wouldn't mind sharing? because I feel like a terrible person because he made a break for it, but I know I'm not the only one something like that has ever happened to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is 15 months and he is totally rambunctious and active. I look at Moms in your situation and I think to myself: "That's going to be me very soon."

I brought him to a friend's house the day before Halloween for a costume play date with a bunch of other boys his age. He was the only one who found the lady's grandmother's china and was running around the house with a tea cup in his hand. I am on him all the time making sure he doesn't get into things, but he's fast and sometimes all I can do is chase him down after he gets what he shouldn't have!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• my oldest used to take off running all the time and finnally i came up with one that worked. if she took off i would take away her shoes because that means she couldnt go anywhere that i didnt carry her.
    Anonymous

• yep, been in similar situations... and guess what also be the stranger catching the fleeing child.. And you child is fine, you are fine, and that situation does not make you a horrible mother... chances are some were judging, some were going... "been there, done that", and some were thinking "yep... that will be me someday"... If we were all perfect parents we would live in a perfect world... and since we dont just go on with life doing the best you can.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Nope you are not a terrible mother. My son ran into the street the other day at the doctors office. And I shouted NO! You can't run into the street. And some guy walking by gave me a horrible look like I was going to beat my child. I was just trying to tell my son that its not okay to do that. My son didn't cry, because it knew that it wasn't okay.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• oh boy....mine are 8,6 and 3.

they just get more embarassing as they get older. lol

many times
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I took my kids to my sister's house in Colorado for a vacation. We were all sitting around the dining room table chatting, when all the sudden my son (he was 3 at the time) walks into the room and spits on her floor. I was shocked and couldn't believe it because I had never seen him do anything like that before. I of course yelled at him and made him clean it up. As soon as he left the room again, we all busted up laughing, and I was grateful that I don't have a judgmental family. We still laugh about that whenever it gets brought up. Kids will the do the most unexpected things sometimes, and all we can do is deal with it when it happens, since it certainly can't be predicted.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I "lost" my son in the store once for almost 5 minutes-he was 2 or 3 at the time we were in a childrens clothes store with a tv and little benches, the first time I let him sit there while I was looking at the clothes on the rack right next to it I looked up from the rack and he was "gone". I quietly called his name as I got more frantic others helped me look for him, he was actually hiding under the rack I was looking on! I could have strangled him for not answering me and this other mother has the freaking nerve to say something about him not being trained to obey and answer when called! I said something involving words moms should not say while holding toddlers about him being a child not a dog and she walked away.
    Also I have been at the door when a child has tried to run out of a store- just laughed it off to the mom and said they all try to escape at some time! Doesnt make you a bad mother makes both of you normal.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My dad, who is about to be a 1st time grandpa, said, "You think those people are looking at you like you're a bad parent, but most of them have kids and are looking at you and thinking, 'Man I was so embarrassed when mine did that.' And in truth, they feel sorry for you and wish they could help."

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My kids are great when we go out, it's when people come over that sucks. The second they hear the door they strip off their clothes and start running through the house throwing what ever they can. They act like caged animals I swear they do it on purpose. The only time they don't do it is when my best friend comes over. She has permission to disipline them just like I do hers, though I don't she would. They however don't want to test it she is like a fun Aunt to them and they don't want to mess that up.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I know exactly what you mean... My daughter is in her terrible two's right now. At home she is really good, but as soon as we go to a store she wants everything and gets really upset when she can't have it... And she got a really loud voice. I hate to go to Walmart because my daughter loves Helium Baloons and they have them there at the check-out. So always at the check-out I have a crying totally mad child who wants a baloon... lol
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009