stop toddler "jokes"?

My daughter just turned 2 about a month ago. Recently she's started playing jokes or pranks on me. She will go "hide" and when I go looking for her and calling her name she won't say a thing. That's fine except i usually don't know when or where she is going to hide so I get frantic. Also the other day she claimed that my best friend was in the den, which I knew she wasn't, but when I said "Oh, where did Chele go?" She sighed and said "Chele go bye bye mommy". Now my question is do I try to put a stop to this, because she is essentially lying, or do I let it go as it is just her developing her imagination? These are not the only things she does, it's something different every day. My older 3 never went through this so I'm stumped. Any advice would help. Thanks.

my4kidsrock2

Asked by my4kidsrock2 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd say try reading her a book about Hide and seek and help her understand that it's a game but if you call her you need her to come out because it scares you because yyou love her so much. My kids loved the Max and Ruby hide and seek book
    jgal29

Answer by jgal29 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• That is SOOOO cute!! She is being imaginitive and silly! Definetly don't try to break her of this. If it bothers you so much make a game of it. Let her know when it is appropriate to hide and when she worries you. As for "lying". She is not lying. At this age she may just really want to beieve that Chele came over. She doesn't understand the concept of lying to people for her advantage. Once again just make it a cute game. Even play along with her and pretend to talk to your friend. This way it makes her actions fun and cute. Not something she knows she can do to press your buttons. Her getting in trouble for these kinds of thing will only aggravate her behavior and she will do it just to get attention.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 7:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• choose a safe word and choose it together. If she picks something silly like "booger" just keep it anyway. At least that way she will remember it.
    Explain to her that whenever you say that word, even if you are playing a game...it means that the game is over and she needs to come out or tell you where she is. Then ask her if she wants to practice. Have her hide and call her and call her. If she comes out say "ah ah, I didnt say booger remember?" and tell her to go back to her hiding place.

As for the friend thing, ignore it. Unless it is a safety issue I would just tell her "Chele isnt in the basement...why did you think that?"
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Well my son's favorite game is peekaboo or HIDE ( usually from me ) but I found out that its a problem when we are in the store.. I freaked out because he hid in the clothes rack, I mean, I make him hold my hand even and he quick let go and ran... I almost had a heart attack - No hiding in the store is now a rule now.. but now I've been afraid to do it..My son also tells me the "thor bites max " thor is our cat and he says it when as if it just happened but it doesn't happen, my cats totally run from him.. so I don't know if its imagination, my son also doesn't and will NOT watch tv.. totally his choice BTW... he's far too active to sit for a whoel 3 mintues so I dont know where he comes up with things.. I have to think they are using their imaginations
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2009