what do u prefer

hey im pregnant with my 3rd child im due in april. im thinking abt getting a epi for labor um ive never had one. just wondering if its worth talking to the doc abt getting one or not.. and another thing is do u have to have a catheter with a epi.. thanks for reading...

eacemc2

Asked by eacemc2 at 6:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If yiu did it natural the first 2 times I'd go natural again. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• im torn because my labor are not the easiest lol i know none of them r but ive had one natural then my 2nd i had demtrol which i will not get again.. the reason for getting it was because i had back labor.. my first child two days of natural labor 2nd one was 16 hrs of back labor.. so im confused...
    eacemc2

Answer by eacemc2 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I had 3 epidurals. I had a different ob for #3, just let her know that I wanted the epidural and to have it in my paperwork.

never had a catheter for any of mine either. they just made sure I 'voided' before getting it done.

not sure about your hospital but I got to control the level of medications. I left it so that I could feel everything but the pain. I could feel the urge to push, and the pressure and everything but didn't have pain. felt like I had a lot more control over everything.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i had one, w no complications of any kind. and yes they will give you a catheter. you dont have to decide now. i didnt decide till i was on pitocon for 7 hours.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 6:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• You can talk to your Dr. When I was pregnant, I told my midwife I wanted to try going without one but still wanted the option of getting one. My first, his cord was wrapped around his neck so they wanted to give me one to take the stress of him. My second, I went as long as I could, but ended up getting one. You just can't wait too long or they won't give it to you. I did have to have a catheter. Good luck in your decision, remember, it's yours to make and don't let anyone try and tell you one way is better then the other. The best way is you being comfortable during the labor.
    Anonymous

• My friend had her first two kids at a birth center totally naturally and then decided with her third one that she wanted a hospital birth with an epi. She was SOOOO glad that she had it and didnt feel like a "Failure" like she thought she would since she had already done the natural thing 2 times before.

All of our hospitals here (4) require catheters but they start them after you are numb and remove them before you start pushing. Supposely the bladder (if full) can act as a cushion between the baby and the birth canal so if you are unable to empty your bladder it could actually take the baby longer to desend (I was told that by the anesthesiologist during my 2nd labor)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Back labor is hard, but you might not have to deal with it in the future. IF baby is posterior again, you can work to coax baby to turn around.

You can talk to your doctor about the epidural, absolutely, but you can also research it online and in books, too. Because of the many risks, you might prefer to find natural coping methods so you can have a safer experience.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It's totally up to you. Just wanted to say that I've had two epidural but never a catheter.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i had one and i loved it lol i tried 6hrs without one but was having 3 contractions on top of each other and i couldnt do it anymore i had a catheter which was great didnt have to worry about getting up which would of been impossible anyways since your bottom half is numb - you can ask about a walking epi - which you can walk on..
    but i didnt ask my doctor about it i wanted to do it natural just couldnt told the nurses at the hospital when i wanted it and they went and got the anisthologist guy and i got it
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 7:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I had one and it was wonderful. I've had stubbed toes that hurt worse than labor- honest to God. And while you hear all this stuff about being more likely to need a c-section, I actually would have needed one if not for the epi. DD got her head a little stuck in my pelvis and I had to labor down for hours. If I wasn't relaxed, rested and alert meaning low heartbeat and able to endure 23 hours of labor and stuck baby, they would have needed to do an emergeny c. (they had started talking about it as time went on). And DD was born completely alert, nursed perfectly and even lifted her head up within minutes of birth. She stayed awake for two hours and gave us heck all night. True, women have been going natural for centuries, but bet most would have taken an epi if it were an option :) do what you feel is right for you. They will put in a catheter but it doesn't hurt- you can't feel it.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 7:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2009