How do I teach my 4 year old to stop interupting me when I'm on the phone?

It is frustrating when I'm trying to get important information from a doctor or in regards to finances and my 4 year old is whining or asking me questions....

Diana200507

Asked by Diana200507 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my kids were little, I had a rule that as soon as the phone rang, they were to get a book, sit on the couch, & look at it quietly. They weren't to move until I hung up the phone. Worked great & I was able to talk on the phone without any problems.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• We gave my son a play phone and when our phone rang he'd grab his phone. My other two have never had this problem
    jgal29

Answer by jgal29 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Put him in front of the tv. and have him watch a cute interesting show. that worked with my neighbors kid,
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• The same way you taught him to be quiet when told to do so.
    Anonymous

• I Do the 1-2-3 with my son. If I am on the phone and he interrupts I say Carl, I'm on the phone that's a 1. If her interrupts again I hold up the my fingers for a 2. followed by a 3 if needed. If I get to 3 and have to put someone on hold then he has to get a time out in his room for 5 min (He's 5) Any more I only need tell him once. Stay consistent, even when in my case, I'm talking to grandma and she says 'Oh do I hear Carl? Let me talk to him, Hand him the phone!' lol. I have to say no but when we are done talking I will get him for you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It may sound harsh but I ignore them and eventually they give up and learn that when I am on the phone they are not going to get my attention. I do the same thing with tantrums (they usually begin in time out as a protest to being in trouble in the first place...if you ignore the behavior they realize they aren't getting your attention by misbehaving but if you give them attention then you are playing into their whole little scheme. Again, I know it may sound harsh but I was at a complete loss with my 4 yr old and these tantrums so I sought out help from a child development social worker therapist lady and she told me this bit of info and it has seemed to really help in our household.
    mcquistionmom2

Answer by mcquistionmom2 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2009