Current and past Co Sleepers how do you do it ???

We made a mistake of letting our then 2.5 year old DD sleep with us until she fell asleep when we were in the process of packing to move in June. We have been in our house for now 3 months and she still has to be in our bed to fall asleep. I admit I DO like it to a point . When she comes up stairs to go to sleep it's only with me with her so it's okay becasue we have plenty of room for the two of us but if it's her , me and my hubby then it's just too much and not enough room in bed. She throws fits if she can't come into our bed we are tryng to break her of it and get her to sleep in her own bed but it's been so hard .

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 6:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• You wanna know how I do it? Or how to break her of this habit?

For how I do it, I often think about how fragile life is. Every second I spend with my sons could be the last. I have watched other families suffer through tragedies and lose children. I want the peace of mind that I have spent every moment possble loving and cherishing my children. When I get frustrated I just take a second to clear my mind, then pretend as if my child was dying from an incurable disease. Then I love as if they were.
    As for how to break the habit.... haven't done that one yet. My 4 yr old still falls asleep in bed with me, DH, and baby and then one of us carries him to bed. It can be crowded at times, but we love it.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried getting her a new comforter set that she'd be really excited about? Or maybe a tv in her room and she can watch movies until she falls asleep. With Gwen we started giving her a book and a little night light on her side table and let her read until she falls asleep. We always had problems with Gwen not wanting to go to sleep in her bed and I can't believe we didn't try the book approach sooner, it has made bedtime a trillion times easier in our house!

And I definitely think it's good for an almost 3 year old to be in her own bed. Obvious exceptions to being sick or having a bad dream, but they're old enough to handle being in a bed without the parnet. I don't agree with anon at all!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would suggest give her some time to transition. Take it slow. Get her to see how sleeping in her big girl bed is the greatest thing in the world. That's what we did with our oldest.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• my dd dosen't have a problem sleeping in her own room but since we've had some recent break ins in the neighborhood i live in, se's back with us, we brought her bed in our room and it's beside ours next to daddy and the baby is on my side next to me
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• This is not meant to be rude. I am trying to explain what I think, and remember reading on-line you miss my gentle tone. I swear it's there. You refer to this decision as a "mistake." It isn't. It is something you chose to do to help your daughter make a transition. Now, you are settled in your new place, and it is time for a new transition. Life is full of them. You don't break children of habits that you created. You recognize that they are children, and need help with big transitions. Moving beds does sound insignificant to us, but it is so huge to a child.

What kind of bed does she have? When we transitioned our toddler, we put her in a double bed. Daddy stayed with her a few nights to smooth the transition. Then stayed until she fell asleep. Then kissed her night night and left. It was seamless for her.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• What we did when it was time to wean the kids out of our bed, we essentially kept the 'nighttime comfort' but moved the location. We went to THEIR bed to snuggle while they went to sleep. If they woke up in the night and freaked out about being alone, we went their bed. We kept the nighttime connection, but moved the location. Gradually we did not have to lay next to them to get them to sleep anymore. It's not an overnight thing- it's a gradual process. Try having her in her room but still being available until she feels safe and secure and able to sleep there on her own.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2009