christians- what kind of music do you listen too?

I ask this because I've noticed a lot of people from my denomination will judge me and/or patronize me because i like to listen to heavier music. WTF??? everything a listen to has great subject matter and some of it even talks about jesus but i get rebuked for it because "that kind of music doesn't invite the spirit" IDK what to think. so what kind of music do you like? have you gotten this kind of stuff from people at church before?

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 6:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Whoa...people do realize that there's Christian Rock and Metal right?

Fireflight
    Flyleaf
    Anberlin
    Skillet
    Thousand Foot Krutch
    P.O.D
    Pilar
    Red
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:59 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• How narrow-minded and silly your critics are. Much popular christiam music is just plain dreadful and certainly invokes nothing spiritual in me, on the contrary, it is insulting to the Almighty to be worshipped with such trite versifying and music. Still, if some people like it, that's their taste, good for them

I like classical music and in that genre , my favorite religious compositions are by J.S. Bach , Vivaldi and Mozart.. I also enjoy jazz and blues.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I only listen to Christian Music. Praise and worship and prophetic for the most part.
    I do not like to listen to most secular as it does not give God the glory.

Music is a major influence in this world and Satan knows it.. remember he USED to be the best worshiping Angel there ever was but when he fell he perverted the musical part as well.
    What you listen to does have power as it goes into you ear gate to your mind and heart and influences you for good or bad. Depending on what you listen to.
    There is more to this that meets the eye but you need to be open to hearing it.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I mostly listen to Christian worship music like Hillsong United, Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, David Crowder, etc.

I still have some Morrisey and the Cure on my iPod but I rarely listen to them. I love them artistically. But it is so superficial. I get nothing out of it on the inside. Whereas if I listen to Christian music I am uplifted spiritually.

I don't think the "style" matters as long as the lyrics are alright. If you are listening to people glorify sin then it will bring you down.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i listen to a mixture. i like heavy metal and there are some good christian heavy metal groups. also like country and rock. depends on the mood. some is christian some is secular. i do make sure it's nothing bad in it i.e language and message etc. if you're not being convicted by it by the Holy Spirit i wouldn't worry about it. pray about it and that's what you should go by.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have XM in my vehicle and I listen to "The Message" on it...christian music. Every now and then, I will flip over to the 80's station on XM. I also listen to my local christian music station. I love the XM one though cuz there aren't any commercials and the name of the artist and song shows up on my dash.
    CoolMommyofboys

Answer by CoolMommyofboys at 7:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• oh and I forgot to add, my denomination looks down on me (well some people do) because I listen to music with instruments...I'm church of Christ...but I don't care, I like it so I'm going to listen to it...I dont have a problem with instruments played in worship either though but that is a whole other topic lol
    CoolMommyofboys

Answer by CoolMommyofboys at 7:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I listen to all kinds of music including secular. But my everyday music is praise and worship and contemporary Christian. I don't like music with a negative message or anything condoning or glorifying sinful lifestyles. I really like smooth jazz. I can actually feel my stress level melt when I listen to it.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I only listen to Christian music and classical instramental music. Within Christian music there is just about every style there is in secular music. For me it is the words that matter. I don't care for the words in most secular music, but that is only me. Since I'm not the Holy Spirit I'm not going to sit around trying to do His job. If you don't feel convicted about it don't worry about what others think.

Coolmommy where does the Church of Christ see instraments forbidden in scripture? David used them a lot, and he was called a friend of God.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i usually listen to 'the message' on sirius. i love our local xtian radio, but there's too many commercials and general goofiness. i used to listen to air1...but again with the goofiness!!
    if i'm on a long drive, i'll usually tune into the classic country station on sirius...i know...crazy, right? i just love hearing old, old REAL country music! i like R&B/motown/disco and classic guitar rock, too! oh, did i mention polka? jazz and piano is a favorite, as well.
    the only genre i don't listen to is rap....unless its Hammertime. (hehe--private joke for novemberlove!)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2009