What Does The Bible Say About Abortion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm just sitting here picturing LibbyLife's house right now.
    *Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE*Click*Click*Click COPY PASTE
    Anonymous

• the bible says murder is wrong and life begins in the womb therefore when a baby is murdered in utero it's wrong
    Anonymous

• Absolutely nothing! The word "abortion" does not appear in any translation of the bible!

According to the bible, life begins at birth--when a baby draws its first breath. The bible defines life as "breath" in several significant passages, including the story of Adam's creation in Genesis 2:7, when God "breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

An honest reader must admit that the bible contradicts itself. "Thou shalt not kill" did not apply to many living, breathing human beings, including children, who are routinely massacred in the bible. The Mosaic law orders "Thou shalt kill" people for committing such "crimes" as cursing one's father or mother (Ex. 21:17), for being a "stubborn son" (Deut. 21:18-21), for being a homosexual (Lev. 20:13), or even for picking up sticks on the Sabbath (Numbers 15:32-35)!
    Anonymous

• For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, And my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from Thee, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth. Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Thy book they were all written, The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them. (Psalm 139:13-16)
    Anonymous

• Abortion, the Bible, and Murder:

Exodus 21:22 says: “If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman’s husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.” Exodus is clear that a murderer receive capital punishment, but killing a fetus is not punished with death. This is the closest the Bible comes to commenting on abortion; Judaism’s refusal to unequivocally condemn abortion stems from this.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• um, "Thou shall not Kill"....
    Anonymous

• At best, the Bible is ambiguous on the moral status and personhood of the fetus. It’s possible to use it to argue against abortion, but those arguments are inconclusive and perhaps not as strong as those using the Bible to argue that abortion is, at a minimum, not murder.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations." (Jeremiah 1:5)
    Anonymous

• A couple of verses suggest that a person exists already as a fetus. Psalms 139:13-15 describes God knowing someone in the womb. There are several reasons, textual as well as contextual, to read this more as poetry than as a literal description of the nature of a fetus. Similar passages elsewhere, like Jeremiah and Luke, aren’t so poetic but nevertheless are conveying information other than the idea that the fetus is a person. It’s a stretch to use these passages for anti-abortion purposes.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I recall a verse that says something along the lines of "do not kill your children for fear of poverty."
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 7:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2009