help i'm frustrated and don't know what to do anymore

so tomorrow i'm 41 wks. i feel so much pain in lower region and pressure. i went to the dr today and i'm only 3cm and 50% effaced. i haven't porgressed much at all in the last month. she said she had me scheduled for induction which i have been very adament about not doing. i'm trying to avoid a c-section. she is concerned that the baby will get in distress as well as me so i'm thinking maybe i should go ahead. i have lost my mucus plus yesterday and then had my membranes stripped and also took a mild mixture of black and blue cohosh today. i'm hoping these two things will bring on labor before i go for induction. if i don't should i go in for the induction. i felt good about it earlier but i re-read the concerns of induction so now i'm scared again. i just need some perspective on induction or waiting etc that might help me decide? i go in 7am but can or would back out if i feel strongly just concerned body not progressing

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Go w/induction! You'll be fine :) I had to get it too and we're fine :) Good Luck dear
    Polposha

Answer by Polposha at 8:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Is this your first baby? Good luck with the delivery. About your question everyone is different. With all 3 of my boys I had to be induced. At 35 weeks with all the boys I was at 5 cen. and 80% enfaced, but my body just wouldn't go into labor on its own. So I can't really compare natural labor with induction. But I can tell you a little bit about induction.

With the pitocin it started contractions pretty quickly. With never having them before it was pretty scary. They might also choose a pill type (I had this with my 3rd). It is not pitocin and they ask you to walk around to help labor start naturally. I would talk to your dr about what you would like. Good luck with everything!
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 8:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Wow, sounds as if you are really doing a good job !! No kidding, just keep trying.... what are you going to do when you get home? Do you have music picked out for the naptimes, etc. I used to play beethoven for my little ones. OR something with orchestral, and symphony .

I think the best thing to do would be to just stand and stretch or breathing, and stretching your legs muscles as far as not hurting, and maybe massage the area near the baseline muscles (sides, back and fronts of vaginal opening,) just so it seems softer, pliable..... I see you are doing the cohosh, do you see any improvement, ???

I used to drink tea with catnip, cinnamon, ginger, raspberry leaves, and cardamom. It's brilliant, and bold, so it's a good kick but very relaxing afterward.
    I got so relaxed at times though it may have made the walking more strenuous. So it's not good as a regular drink all day, just have one cup before bed.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i have three kids and three inductions.. its fine.. the baby will be fine..im suprised that the doctor hasnt induce or sent you to the hopital at 3 cm dialated that blows my mind.. but you and baby will be fine. they start with a thing to help diala if they even get that cuz your already dialated.. then patocin... and hopfully thats all.. have you had anykids before..??
    mrm1787

Answer by mrm1787 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I think you should first of all listen to your gut. If you aren't ready to be induced certainly you can put it off a day or two longer and see if things get started on their own. I was induced at 39 1/2 weeks due to high blood pressure. I was really nervous about the pitocin and having a really hard labor but things went really well. Even though I was induced things didn't go quickly at all, they gave me pills to thin the cervix for about eight-ten hours and then started pitocin and I delivered about twelve hours after starting pitocin. I didn't have any pain meds until 6 hours after starting pitocin and then had my epidural about two hours prior to delivery. The epidural really got things moving and I think it was because I finally relaxed some and then things went really fast. Try to relax yourself and get in tune with your body. Ask your baby if they are ready to come out. No matter what you will have a precious baby soon.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Do you understand how dangerouse it can be to carry over 40 weeks, the baby can have a bowl movement inside the uterus and the baby will swallow and inhale that in and can cause a very bad infection. But why do you have to have a c-section and not vaginal, is this just somthing that you chose or has to happen? Maybe Im just confused as to what you said. I would have already had an induction but some doctors make you wait forever to have one.Dont worry about it, women do this every day and plus its the best thing for the baby at this point. Gl and congrats!! :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 8:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• If you are going to wait make sure they are monitoring baby. I know doctors are different and my doctor doesn't allow to go over 41 weeks. I agree with him now since my daughter was nine days overdue. In my case I did actually go into labor and it suddenly stopped. I was induced the following day and had to have a c-section. I'm glad my doctor decided to do what he did since my dd was overdue she had already passed meconium. It wasn't much, thank God! they gave her a 7 day antibiotic for infection. So there are cons and pros to both. So like someone said go with your gut instinct.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 8:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i would refuse the induction unless there is some reason to think baby might be in trouble. 42 weeks is very normal. i know it's hard to refuse with a doctor telling you it is best. in the end it is your decision.

my son was born at 41 weeks. before that i was only dilated to 1 cm. it doesn't matter if you haven't made any measurable progress so far. your body is getting ready. i think you should just try your best to relax and not be frustrated, and trust that your body will go into labor very very soon!

perhaps you would go into labor on your own in 3 days, maybe 2, maybe 5.
    Anonymous

• this is my 7th child. you'd think i was a pro but my yougest is 3 and then my other youngest is 12. i gave up 3 of my 6th kids. so i have 3 at home. i have never gone over and early today i did feel good about it but i'm a worry wart so i worry over nothing at times. i still have time to think and pray about things. although i'm grateful for all the answers. i do feel somewhat better.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Have sex. I heard that the sperm softens the cervix...could be a wives tale but it worked for me. It was 2 days before my due date so I did and I woke up in labor about 6 hours later.
    Anonymous