Sleeping medications....

So my doc just put me on 5 mgs of Ambien to help me sleep, but I feel I feel awful taking it cause I am a SAHM and my hubby works and my ds is only 5 months old...has anyone else every taken it...will I hear my DS if he wakes and needs me even though he has slept all night for awhile now I just feel like a bad mom to want more sleep...Any major side effects...????

konnorsmommy09

Asked by konnorsmommy09 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let me tell you a bit about the first time I took a 5mg ambien. I took it, then hopped in the shower to rinse off. Not shave my legs, wash my hair. Just put soap on my body and rinse, like 5 minutes. I don't remember a thing after that. I fell asleep standing up. My husband found me standing up dead asleep. He dried me off and walked me to bed. Not sure how.

Now when I take it, I can read and take a shower. The first few times you take it affect your body much more. So, make sure your husband knows he is on night duty, and not to trust you even if you're walking around. I also have sex in my sleep on ambien. Probably why my husband thinks it's awesome I take one every other week or so. I hear it's good sex. I just don't remember it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• If you're concerned that you might not hear the baby....think twice about taking it. I know how anything that "may cause drowsiness" affects me, I know my husband can sleep through an atomic bomb so I don't dare take anything.
    Anonymous

• I'd personally wait too. I had to take one once and it knocked me on my butt for 2 days.

or can you cut one in half or quarter it?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I can cut it in half...but I read some really scary side effects and I am so nervous about taking it...but i really need sleep
    konnorsmommy09

Answer by konnorsmommy09 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• can your dh take night duty for baby? if he does then I'm sure you'll be fine. just have him wake you in the morning and make sure you're up and about before he leaves.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Yea we are going to try that but I am going to wait till this weekend when he can be home incase I feel groggy or forgetful
    konnorsmommy09

Answer by konnorsmommy09 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My husband takes it occasionally and it really knocks him out.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I took 5 mgs of ambien and knowing what it did to me I would NEVER take it now with a baby. I did things that I didn't remember the next day (had conversations with my husband, sent emails, went outside to sweep the garage????) I would be afraid that I would pick the baby up and do something stupid. After taking it for a few days I started to feel really detached during the day. I don't know your situation but I would only take it if completely necessary and make sure your husband is in charge of the baby. Just thinking about it scares me!! Please think about this long and hard! good luck.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2009