Ambien

So my doc just put me on 5 mgs of Ambien to help me sleep, but I feel I feel awful taking it cause I am a SAHM and my hubby works and my ds is only 5 months old...has anyone else every taken it...will I hear my DS if he wakes and needs me even though he has slept all night for awhile now I just feel like a bad mom to want more sleep...Any major side effects...????

konnorsmommy09

Asked by konnorsmommy09 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Health

• my husband was on this and he was very out of it when he woke up an foggy throughtout the day. He hallucinated as well, he does not take it any more.
    Anonymous

• My hubby took it. If anything woke him up there was no way he could function if he hadn't had the 7-8 hours sleep they suggest!!
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Wow. That's alot to start off with. I would try about 1/4 of that, if at all. Ambien is very sedating. If you have children of any age, I definitely would be seeking an alternative. Although it will still make you moody the next day, you can try Melatonin from GNC.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Its the lowest doasge there is
    konnorsmommy09

Answer by konnorsmommy09 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• ok i have been taken the generic ambian 10 mg and i am still able to wake up if my son age 3 starts to cry ( god forbid the light is off ) and i am not all foggy i can still funtion. but my dh is also around if the rare chance that i sleep threw mommmm... ( it happend once ) but i have noticed if im exasted to the point and still take one then about 10 mins later i feel like im drunk and just need bed and pass out in 5 mins.. ( that one time i didnt hear moommm ) so if ur xsausted then take caughtion and just like was said 1/4.. normaly when i take one ( everyother day they can be habit forming) it takes about 1/2 hour to feel sleepy and when i do wake up even it its 6 hours later i feel like i had a fullnight sleep and ready to take on the world..statr off little and see how u do also i took one one time at 11pm went to bed and my bf went into labor at 230am i heard the phone and was at hospital by 3am and ready to go..allday
    Anonymous

• I take Ambien CR 12.5 mg. I love it more than the regular ambien. I took that for 10 years and was put on CR. The best thing I have found is that it does not make me loopy and weird like I did with the regular. I also don't wake up 3 or 4 times during the night.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried non-drug alternatives? I would start with valerian root.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2009