How many parents out there are layed off???

For over 4 months my husband and i have both been out of work. I didnt think this jobless streak would ever end. Finally last week we discovered that Target was hiring or seasonal work. Today was my husbands 1st day and next tuesday is my 1st day. Im super excited but seasonal always comes to an end and im not lokking forward to being jobless again :(

31angelmommy3

Asked by 31angelmommy3 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• You need to keep looking! The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I was laid off on Sept 19. This is the longest I have been without a job since 16. I have two college degrees and still am told I am OVER qualified....grrrr. I have applied everywhere, when I had an interview at Mc. Donalds, I explained I was not over qualified for a paycheck. If i have to scrub public bathrooms I will do it to help put food on the table. I am hoping I am able to get unemployement, but so far they keep telling me 2-3 more weeks and they will know.....grrr.

54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 8:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• its not fair... but lets not forget about all the illegal americans taking our jobs making bank!!!
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Not me but my hubby. He's been out of work six months now. He keeps getting interviews but gets edged out by guys who are willing to take HALF of what he'd been paid before. He's willing to take a cut but at the moment it makes no sense to take something that pays less than unemployment.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• That's why i went into business on my own. I didn't want anyone to dictate my future. I recently got involved in a nutrition and weight loss company to help me get through this recession. Now I can get healthly and wealthy at the same time. lol
    chiro789

Answer by chiro789 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have been looking for work for a good 9 months now...I have applied at fast food-schools- office jobs-state jobs- cleaning jobs- cashiering/retail jobs and various other things. Probably applied for about 150-200 jobs now and I have had 4 interviews and still jobless...and being in Utah I can't even play the lottery! heh
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• There are more great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group:; http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2009