For anyone whos had a pre term baby... or anyone who might know

For every week earlier then 38 weeks how much longer does the baby have to be in the hospital? I think i've heard for every day early its two extra days in the hospital.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had my son at 37 weeks, I was only in the hospital two nights and three days. I'm not sure about it being any earlier though.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I was 37 weeks and he left with me. He did not have to stay any longer than normal.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Mine were born at 32 weeks they were in the hospital for 3 weeks. The standard is not gestational age. It is based on weight, feeding, respriartions, and ability to regulate body temprature. My twins were born almost 12 years ago and we live in CA, I think the standards are the same still and pretty much across the board. Obviously the first standard is breathing well, even if it's with supplimental oxygen, they can't be on a respirator. They have to be 4 lbs, be able to nurse from a premie bottle, and maintain normal body temprature in a 70 degree room when wrapped and dressed properly.
    Also remember getting them home is just the first step, premies can have problmes for the rest of their lives. So do your best to keep your baby in.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Both of my lil girls were born at 36 weeks and both had to stay in the hospital for approx. 6-8 days only because there lungs werent fully developed and they also both ended up getting jaundice (Not sure how to spell that) lol but each baby is diff. depending on there condition after birth. Ive never heard the "every day that there early is an extra two days in the hospital" and I dont honestly think that is true or applys in anyway because of my girls and other premature births that Ive heard of and there babys and mine got to go home when they were healthy enough to go home. So I would say just depends.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 8:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I had my daughter at 35 3/4 weeks and my son at 36 weeks. Both were healthy, stayed with me in my room, and then left the hospital when I did. I think a lot of the time it depends on the baby. The biggest concern is lung development. Good Luck!!
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• my sier had her baby at 34 wks and she was home 3 days later. had my son at 37 wks and he was home 2 days later. it depends on the baby.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Teamquinn pretty much has it on. It is dependant on those things, maybe the weight is different. But I had my first at 35 weeks and second at 37 and they are both alright and thribing well.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My twins were born at 33 weeks exactly and had to stay in the NICU for 5 weeks. They had no lung infections or anything. They had to stay until they could maintain their own body temperature and could pass the "Car Seat Challenge", which means we had to bring in their car seats and they had to be able to sit up in them for an hour and hold their heads up during that time, so that we were sure they would not suffocate on the way home.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 9:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My twins were born at 33 weeks and stayed in NICU for ONE WEEK.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 9:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Lucky you! How much did yours weigh? Mine weighed 3 lb 4 oz and 3 lb 12 oz. I remember because they weighed 7 lb TOGETHER.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 9:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2009