Why is it so hard for a little girl to be nice to my daughter?

My 5yr old daughter comes home and tells me that a girl in her kindergarten class always ignores her. My daughter gets along with mostly everyone shes very outgoing and just wants to play. I told her to ask the girl "why do you ignore me"? but guess what she ignores her. I thought maybe the girl was just shy but I saw her in action at a school function and she was running around and playing with everyone but shunned my daughter again. Why is this happening already at such a young age? my daughter just doesn't understand. Why is this girl doing this? Does this mean that this particular girl is on the path of being a bully? What can I do to make my daughter understand that she didn't do anything wrong?

oldmomof4

Asked by oldmomof4 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• some girls are just like that.

try to explain that its not your dd, its the other little girl and tojust be friendly if she makes the effort. move on and play with the rest.

sadly the "girl" crap and meanness does indeed start this early (my oldest was bullied by a girl like that in grade one).
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I agree with PP. Just let your dd know that you cant make everyone happy and thats she is a wonderful person for trying to befriend her.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would just make sure that your daughter understands that even if someone ignores her she should continue to be nice to them and maybe the other little girl will warm up to her. Who really knows what the little girls problem is. Maybe she is jealous of your daughter in some way and doesn't know how to deal with the emotion or maybe she is intimated by your daughter for some reason (and I am not saying your daughter is being unkind to her). Kids are just funny like that. I would just tell her not to worry about it.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Thank you everyone and yes I told her to still be nice to her. I also explained to dd that its not her fault. I'm sorry hypermamaz about your dd, I hope she is ok now.
    oldmomof4

Answer by oldmomof4 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2009