Why is my friend with no kids judging me?

a college friend is in town for work and staying with us. She has no kids of her own but will not stop criticizing mine. They get up from the table before she's done eating. They don't look her in the eye when she's talking to them. They woke her up this morning at 6 a.m. (which is late for them). i shouldn't let them watch T.V., etc., etc., etc. I'm not saying i'm the perfect parent, but where does she get off with all this judgment. she doesn't even have kids. is this common? do other friends without kids judge you. what do you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just tell her when she has kids of her own, to let you know how it works out for her.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Please do not concern yourself with my child rearing style. There will be a time and a place where you will be come a mother and you will see that somethings aren't just worth arguing about, like the way you perceive my children. My children have so many positive qualities yet you choose to focus in pitiful stuff.

And one more thing, as a guess in my house I would appreciate a little bit of courtesy and common sense in your part to at least not undermine my parental skills in front of my children. Change the subject, walk away but be firm, sorry she is your friend but she sounds like a bitch.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I never had that... but if someone was telling me that. I would say.. When you have kids you can raise them the way you feel is the "right way" but for now, let me raise my kids the way I am raising them and stop putting your two cents in...
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• To criticize in your own home is very disrespectful. Show her the door.

Anonymous

• I would have to say something to her... I would tell her that you are raising your kids how you see fit and would appreciate if she would respect that. People with no children think they know everything....lol
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• my house my rules. you don't like it...there's the door.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Most people are "perfect parents" BEFORE they have children!
    Anonymous

• There is no such thing as "perfect parents". NO ONE will ever be perfect. No matter how much someone says they are.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 2:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think her bad behavior surpasses any of the things your children are doing. Your kids sound normal to me. Maybe she scares the crap out of them and they don't want to eat with her or look her in the eye. lol
    I would say "This is how things are in my home. I would appreciate it if your bad manners of correcting ME, when you are a guest in my home, would stop. I don't want my kids to think THAT is ok. If that doesn't work for you, here is the phone number and Mapquest directions to the Holiday Inn."
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I did that to one of my friends before i had my own kids. I couldn't understand why she would put them in front of the tv, when she knew that it just dazed them out, wasted their time, stunted their language development....blah blah blah .

Now that I have kids of my own I know why...but that really isn't why i did it in the first place...

You see when we first were friends we were very competitive, now we were both successful in different way, she with her relationship and family life, me with my career and financial success.. Mostly I just wanted her to think I was better than her and i did that by pointing out what i thought she was bad at. I know it sounds horrible but its true, and I'm sure she was feeling similar.... to make things short,she's jealous of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2009