im lost

ok so my 2 year old has been acting so weird lately. I know it might just be jealousy but I really am worried about him. I recently had another baby and even though my 2 yr old was never an only child (he has 3 older brothers and an older sister) he was used to being the baby, so I guess when the new baby came along he got really jealous. It started with him ignoring the new baby, he didn't want to kiss him or look at him or anything. Then it got to the point where he wanted to hurt the baby by hitting, pinching and kicking. I got him to stop that behaviour but now he seems depressed. I know that sounds silly but he throws tantrums that I have never seen him or any of his older siblings ever do, and it was even worse the other day when we were driving home from the park and he started screaming and kicking and wriggling till he got out of his car sean and then he flipped out so bad until we finally stopped at a white castle...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• cont.. and got him some french fries and something to drink to calm him down. I don't know what triggered the tantrum but it was scary, and it seems like ever since he has been acting funny. like (i know this sounds really stupid) he doesn't love me anymore. I say I love you to him and he used to respond "I love you too!" but he doesn't say that anymore, and when I tickle him he doesn't always laugh like he used to. Am I being over sensitive or do I really have something to worry about? And don't say try and spend more time with him because i really do! every time the baby is asleep I go and get the 2 yr old and play and read and everything with him. Im so lost- help! TIA
    Anonymous

• I don't have an awnser or even a suggestion, but i do want you to know I'm sorry you're going through that. It must be really tough. I don't know what I would do, but at least you're trying to do something and not just ignoring it hoping it will go away. hang in there, I'm sure you'll figure it out soon.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I can kind of relate. My daughter is 2 1/2 and I have a 6 week old. She is mostly great with the baby and loves being a big sister, but sometimes she seems sad and depressed. She even tells me sometimes she is sad. I try to talk to her about her feelings and tell her it is okay to be sad and jealous and even mad. I think it is a combination of age (just starting to have different emotions) and having a new baby around. I am not sure about the tantrums though. Did you maybe just causally say something that would have made him upset. Sometimes I forget that my daughter can understand everything I am saying. I don't think you are being over sensitive. It breaks my heart to see my little girl sad, and sometimes I feel guilty for a having another baby. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but maybe talk to you pediatrician if he keeps it up. Good Luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Ok, he is two....so terrible two's! Also, you have a new addition to the family...he will need time to adjust. I would however make sure he is not having a drop in blood sugar, or suffering from food allergies. This too shall pass. Hang in there and be there for him.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It does sound like your son feels replaced. He does sound like he is jealous of the new baby and doesn't realize that he still is special. I wish I had the perfect answer for you, but honestly I have never been in this situation. My only suggestion would be to try and talk to him. I know that children of that age don't always have the greatest vocabulary, but telling him how you feel might help him. I mean that the new baby isn't replacing him, that he is still very special to you, and that you want to spend lots of time with him still. If he hasn't turned around in a week and he's still showing signs of this behaviour then maybe talk to his Pedi. See if his Pedi can suggest something for you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2009