God has forgiven you, others have forgiven you but you can't forgive yourself.

I know Jesus will forgive those who ask, but how does a person find a way to forgive their own actions when those actions are wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I struggled with that for years. I was always asking God to forgive me for the same old sins from years past. It hit me one day that the Bible tells us that when we ask God to forgive us He does and He no longer remembers it. It was then I was able to let go and if it came into my mind I would rebuke it because it was Satan trying to bring me down. After you do that every time it comes to your mind Satan gives up on it. Be strong Sister.

ifollowjesus

Answer by ifollowjesus at 10:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• By acknowledging that they are wrong and doing what you can to make amends.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It is a choice to forgive the self.. I am struggling with this concerning a situation that happened a while ago... I have forgiven them, not sure if they have forgiven me as they don't speak to me but I believe they have however forgiving myself for the stupidity I displayed has been difficult. I just have to choose to do so and let God do the rest :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• beeky
    By acknowledging that they are wrong and doing what you can to make amends.

OP here, I have to agree with this and add with the help of Jesus to patch things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Cuz I never did anything wrong...
    Anonymous

• forgiveness and acceptance do not mean that you are not aware of your wrongdoing or that these things are "okay," - forgiveness and acceptance allow you to move forward. there is a difference between bad choices/bad behavior and bad people. people make mistakes. do what you can to remedy the situation and then just move forward and stop judging yourself - if you are Christian, I think you believe that's God's job.

if you are having trouble forgiving/accepting what cannot be changed, ask yourself what you are getting out of not letting go of that self-judgement... does it allow you to feel sorry for yourself? do you think you need to remind yourself what's right that way? etc. find out what's really behind your inability to forgive yourself and deal with it.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2009