Midwife dilema..

I had my doc. visit yest for my 36 week checkup. I had one last week as well, well last week it went great I have two midwifes and this one from last week told me tht my bby was doing all right, his hearbeat was excellent but my iron wasnt so good. and my weight as well, but she understands that, that is something I cant control, I cant help having a fast metabollism. Well I got a diff. midwife yest. and she also said that my iron was bad, but then she felt my baby & said that I had a real small baby in their & tht I was in my way to getting myself another u/s. I dnt get it! one tells me good things and the other one goes bizerk on me. She asked me if I was even trying to eat. Im like ??? YES! she got completely mad b/c I said that I hadnt eaten in 2 hours but that I had just had a chocolate cake. she was like oh yeah that sounds better than meat or mac&cheez huh? IDK, what do yall think?

Kaidensmommy009

Asked by Kaidensmommy009 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think you need to drop them and go to a medical professional.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• If you are eating the amount you need, your belly is growing, and you are taking your vitamins...then I think it should be okay. If you have a fast metabolism, you may not gain body fat...but the baby can still be okay. My mom actually LOST weight while pregnant with my sister just because she ate healthier. Her belly was HUGE and so my sister was eight pounds and something...but once the swelling went down, she was ten pounds lighter than she had been pre-pregnancy. Oh, and my midwife told me that my baby was going to be roughly six pounds. Her exact words were "We're not talking about a big baby...". She was 9 lbs 8 oz when she came out. You could be carrying further inside your body. Apparently I was. Good luck.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I agree with Steff. I had a midwife, but she was part of a clinic and was overseen by a doctor, so when i had to have a c-section she was there to assist but it was the doc that perform the surgery.

It was ideal in that the doc went over every patient with them every week.

Since they seem to be worried about the size and are not consistent I'd say you need to a least consult with a Doctor.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Make sure your midwife is legally backed up by a medical doctor. They are supposed to be, but some aren't. If they can't get your health issues straight I would go get some blood work done by a doctor. Midwives are great, but they have limits as to what they can do.
    Anonymous

• Since when are midwives NOT medical professionals? The good ones should be certified NURSE midwives. That sounds pretty medical to me.

To answer your question though, it sounds a little like you may have overreacted to a simple joke. She may just have a more sarcastic sense of humor that you don't find funny. I understand not getting jokes when you're pregnant. It happens to me all the time. If you really had only eaten chocolate cake, that is not so good. I mean it's tasty, I just had a piece myself, but you should be eating small, nutritious meals every 2 hours. My midwives are a little concerned about me too since I'm 22 weeks and have only gained a pound. I'm doing all I can though, so if you're doing all you can and the same midwife gives you a hard time next appointment, gently request that you not see her anymore. That's what I would do.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i can't believe people are suggesting that midwives aren't medical professionals ???

i think there are bad midwives and bad OBs out there unfortunately. i'd try to get my future appts with the other midwife. :(
    Anonymous

• That's right, correction there, what I meant is, midwives are limited not that they aren't in the medical profession.We had one at our medical clinic, she was a certified nurse midwife. But she knew when it was time for medical intervention. There was recently a case where the parents sued a very famous midwife, because their baby died. She apparently was not certified, and neither were her assistants. Regardless of the case(whole other post!lol) All I was trying to say was maybe you should get a second opinion by a doctor if you are concerned.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• steff, i think you should get informed. some states do not certify midwives at all. there are still midwives there to serve us women. it is always sad when a baby dies. if a baby dies in a homebirth, it is all over the news all over the country. babies die everyday in hospitals and we just don't hear about it. i suggest you read pregnant in the usa by wagner or pushed by cassidy.
    Anonymous

• at the risk of everyone attacking me, serious question: was this complaining midwife fat? I had a super fat doctor tell me to stop exercising so much once.

Low iron can make you feel bad. Do you have a cast iron skillet? If you can cook your food in it, that might help bring your levels up for the big day.

Now I want chocolate cake. Thanks.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• anon @ 1043 you should chill out and quit being so defensive. I simply stated a fact and my experience in MY state. Nothing I posted was wrong. And it wasn't up for debate. If she thinks the midwives aren't right then she deserves to get a doctor's opinion. I'm saying that most good midwives know when it's time to let the doctor check things out.That simple. My best friend is a midwife,she's been doing it for years. I didn't say I was against midwives.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2009