Homeschoolers

Have any of you had to deal with a kindergartener that will act like they don't know something even though you know they do? My 5 yr old (will be 6 in february) has known how to write his name and all of his letters since the age of 3 and now all of the sudden when I ask him to sign his name at the top of his worksheets he acts like he can't write his name right. He will write the letters backwards and his name backwards if that makes sense. his name is Jaydon and when he gets "distracted" he will spell it nodyaj and the letters will be backwards too as if he wants to be able to see it in a mirror. What is going on?? is this some type of sign of a learning disability or is this him just being stubborn? has this happened to any of your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe he's not bored or testing you, but rather trying to express himself and his individuality. Maybe allowing him a little more free time to do things as he wants to do them will get him to focus a bit more on his work when it's time to work?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• maybe he is just testing you???? it could be too boring for him now maybe try to start cursive letters...seems like he might pick up on that easily
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 10:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• does he know his phonics? you could sit with him while he does it and ask him what sound comes first? after he identifies that J is first you could ask him which way its "tail" points.

you might want to look into whether dyslexia is always present or shows up at a certain age, if that's the case that might explain why he can no longer do what he was able to do before. 

have you tried giving him something with his name on it to copy? 

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Sounds like he's either bored or testing you.
    Anonymous

• He could be testing you or bored... My 5 year old does not always like to print her name on her papers....she says, you know who I am mommy! lol I give her other things to write with, colored pencils, crayons markers, etc...

Phonics Pathways is a great book for reading and spelling and it also has a section on dyslexia, in case that may be an issue.
    Anonymous

• Bored or testing. Try jazzing it up by letting him use a cool pen or pencil.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have had 2 kids get through kindergarten (not homeschooled) and this is normal. My first didn't, my second did. I ask the teacher about it and she said kids just do that sometimes. It doesn't mean anything. Don't make a big deal of it and I am sure he sill stop. :)
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• ... will :)
    Amber115

• maybe dyslexic?
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 11, 2009