Sudden fever in 3yr old daughter

my DD was fine all day. though she has had a cough and runny nose for past week. she then suddenly spiked a fever of 103, and I have yet to get down past 102.5. Fever started at 6:30pm. I just took the temp. of 102.5. I have given her a dose of tylenol, a dose of motrin, gave bath, let eat ice chip and fluid and also italian ice. It seems her energy was drained so quickly, she didn't want to walk from place to place. Should I be worried of swine flu? I have called Dr.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Why does everyone automatically think swine flu anytime their kid gets sick.. It's no worse than any other illness your child could get especially the seasonal flu. It could very well be what she is having but unless she has some other serious medical condition DONT rush her to the doctor, chances are they won't even test her and will tell you to keep her hydrated and keep giving her tylenol for the fever. My son had the swine flu and the only complications we had were from his asthma.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 10:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I agree... but people keep telling me I bet it is swine flu... Though I do not want to mess around with a fever. I do believe swine flu has a lot of media hype.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like flu to me but whether it's swine or seasonal I don't know, there isn't much difference. If the fever spikes over 104 or she has breathing difficulties you might want to bring her in but otherwise just keep up the tylenol and motrin regime and fluids. A cool mist humidifier might help the coughing and such; if she's having a lot of trouble breathing your dr may prescribe an inhaler for a few days. If she's in preschool or daycare you'll want to keep her home for a couple of days; most kids I know who have had the swine flu (my 4 year old included) have seemed better for a day or so then spiked another fever. My guy was really sick for about 2.5 days and then took another 5 days to fully recover.

It's nothing to panic about. Just keep everything clean so nobody else gets sick; I managed to get it too and it really sucks. Stay home too so you don't spread it.
    Anonymous

• What concerns me is that she has been sick already with some type of viral infection ( cough/runny nose) for a week and then she spiked a fever. That usually signals a secondary infection.

Wait to see what the doctor says and also look for signs of breathing trouble, ear hurting etc...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• A fever means she is fighting something. I would let the fever run for a while give her body a chanse to fight what it needs to as long as she is not in pain.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 6:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• watch the fever, if you still can't get it to go down i'd atleast call the advice nurse, sure the swine flu has a lot of hype but it doesnt mean it cant still be harmful to a child (not saying your child has this) same with the regular flu my child was having some of those symptons and better safe than sorry i took him in and he had a double ear infection and a sinus infection so i am glad i took him in.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 1:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• "Why does everyone automatically think swine flu anytime their kid gets sick.. It's no worse than any other illness your child could get especially the seasonal flu. It could very well be what she is having but unless she has some other serious medical condition DONT rush her to the doctor, chances are they won't even test her and will tell you to keep her hydrated and keep giving her tylenol for the fever. My son had the swine flu and the only complications we had were from his asthma. "

Everyone's reaction to the swine flu is different! Some people's symptoms are mild and last 3 days while others are sick for almost 2 weeks. I personally had a longer case of it, and am glad my children did not suffer as long. There are perfectly healthy people who have contracted Swine Flu and it has killed their lungs. Do not judge people who are worried about it, just be thankful your family has survived it!!!
    Anonymous

• I think since your daughter was previously sick with symptoms, it's probably not H1N1, but, it could be she had a different virus and has now contracted "swine flu." It could also be a secondary infection from whatever she had the first time. I say if her fever has been present for more than 48 hours take her to her pediatrician just to be safe.

Ibabysit for a little boy who recently had no symptoms (but someone in his family had had the swine flu) and then one night started coughing, spiked a high temp (104-105) that mortin and tylenol didn't relieve much. Next day went to the hospital and was admitted with double pneumonia. You just never know what your child may have because everyone's body reacts differently. Always trust your mother's intuition.
    Anonymous

• DO NOT underestimate a high fever along with lethargy in a child, especially when she's already been sick for several days. When children are sick, they can go down fast and be in trouble before you know it. It doesn't matter if it's H1N1, she is sick.Get in to see the Dr., a TRAINED MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL, as soon as you can and for heaven's sake stop asking CM's for medical opinions.
    I don't mean to be offensive, OP, I just get touchy about sick kids. Give us an update when you can.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2009