Wedding on a dime

Do any of you have any ideas on how to have a inexpensive wedding that doesn't look cheap? I have about $700. We already have our rings, and my dress so I dont have to worry about that. But thats all we have. Im thinking of doing my own music on cds and having a friend being the MC for the night? Is that tacky? What about food.. What would you serve? How would you decorate?

There will be about 60 people there..

Thanks for any advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The way that we kept costs down was having family and friends help. Party supply places are great for decorations we used heart shaped baskets and put candy in them, put out disposable cameras on the tables then you get shots of things that you never even knew happened and you can develop them on your own budget after the wedding, fake flowers are great cause you can make them ahead of time yourself and they last for momentos, make your own cake there are tons of books out there or one of your friends might help. Above all remember that it's your day and don't stress out on it being a big ordeal cause the small weddings are more memorable cause less get lost in the mix.
    munchkun

Answer by munchkun at 12:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Have a BBQ.

Answer by louise2 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Thats a good idea. I did want to do some kind of "dancing" or something too...I should have added that
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 10:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• and sorry I hit anon for posting it. idk why I did that. :)
    livingrlovesong

• Do not worry about decorations. They know you do not have a lot of money. Just feed them. they will be happy with that.

Answer by louise2 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• We ended up eloping, but we were planning a night wedding. We were going to get married at 7pm, with the reception at 8pm, just cocktails items. We don't drink, so everything was non-alcholic. Also making the small things and finger foods was really easy and pretty cheap (we got the theme from a friend a few years before). They used a "fake styrofam cake" that they decorated, and when they brought it in the back to cut it, they cut the "real" sheet cakes, no one knew.

Also Oriental Trading Company is pretty reasonable. Let me know, I have a million ideas and websites....!
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 10:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• lunch weddings are cheaper! A BBQ type thing will help. See if you have a friend who can make your cake. I made a cake for SIL as my wedding gift to her. Everyone came out financially ahead. tell close friends and family you are asking for donations for the wedding instead of gifts. ask 5-10 guests to swap around some digital cameras to get photos. they will be more candid and fun that way.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Do an outdoor wedding. Rent white chairs and drape them with fabric and rose petals. For dancing making your own play list is fine and having an MC. For food do a dessert buffet. If he have a mid afternoon wedding this is acceptable. If it is lunch time or dinner time people expect a meal at a 3pm wedding desserts are fine. Serve nonalcoholic beverages or just wine.

You can do weddings like these in your price range.  If you do an indoor wedding you are spending a ton on the venue or church alone.  Most parks allow weddings for a small fee.  Best wishes.

Anonymous

• A dessert buffet can be something simple like this....

You could probably borrow a table from someone as well as serving ware.  If not you can get a pretty table cloth for fairly cheap at somewhere like Target or TJ Maxx.  You can make the desserts yourself.  Add fresh fruit and cheese and crackers as an option too. You can do the food for about $50-$100 easily if you don't serve a meal.

Anonymous

• Thanks so much for all of the ideas!! Keep them coming! :)
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 11:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2009