My newborn is usually awake more and hungrier in a day. Today he's been sleeping almost all day and hardly eating. Normal?

Probably a very silly question. First time mommy here though and I get worried about little things. And breastfeeding websites say he should be nursed 8-12 times in a day. Today it's just been 3 or 4 times. How do I know if he's been fed enough and okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he exactly? Babies go through growth spurts during their first week, at three weeks, six weeks, and three months. During those they'll eat a lot for a while, then sleep a lot. You know he's getting enough if he's making 6-8 wet diapers a day--and 'a day', for both the diapers and how often he's nursing, is considered a full 24 hours.
    Beichan

Answer by Beichan at 10:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Just keep a close eye on him. I think he is fine as long as there are no other symptoms. It you're really worried call your doctor's office for advice. Newborns have a schedule all their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• If he is a new born you should be waking him every 3 hours to feed. At night you can give yourself a little break and let him sleep 4-5 hours but you will need to wake him. By a month he should be waking on his own pattern and wanting to feed, but the first week or two you will probably need to wake him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Just stick to the every 3 hours rule, unless they want to feed before then on their own. Wake him to feed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2009