Brittle toe nails? enough to fall off?

My son has always hated his toes touched so its been a hassle to clip them so I don't try too often, well, when he was an infant I noticed they had those white specks in them, you know that you sometimes get in your nails? I didnt' think too much of it dealing with colic and gas issues and sleep issues.. that was put on the back burner, I have only had to clip his big toe nail 2 times in the past year and he just turned 2 sunday, but each time, its been very thick and ridged and almost in layers, well the other day I took his sock off and i noticed it was about to fall off ( the nail of course)... I know he has some type of food allergy but the doctors haven't figured out what... has anyone else gone through this? I have an appt on the 20th but I can only assume it links with nutrients not getting in to my son the way they should right?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Health

• Ahhh! I learned about this in beauty school, the term is called may need two of these!lol
    It's either Onychoptosis: the periodic shedding of one or more nails in whole or in part. The condition might follow certain diseases, or can result from fever, trauma, system upsets or a reaction to prescription meds or
    Onychomadesis, the separation and falling off a a nail from the nail bed. In most cases the cause can be traced to infection, physical trauma to the nail matrix,Xray, chemo>When the cause is removed the nail should grow back healthy.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2009