When is too long, tooooooo long?!

I have been breastfeeding my daughter since she came out of the womb. She is now 14 months. I figured once she transfered to regular milk I would be off the hook and could take ownship of my breast again. Was I ever wrong. Dispite her drinking the regular milk she still wants to breastfeed at least 3x a day. And if I have a day off from work she only has one cup of regular milk and would prefer the breast for the rest of the day. She even goes a far as to have a tantrum if i try to give her the regular milk when she wants the breastmilk. How can i get her to stop breastfeeding? I think she's been on the boob long enough.

numbawunmom

Asked by numbawunmom at 10:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If your really serious about stopping I'd say cold turkey would be best. I stopped this last time at 20 months. He was down to feeding at nap time and bed time or when he got hurt. Instead of breastfeeding I'd rock and sing to him. The first night was the hardest but he caught on quick. I just substituted rocking for the breast.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• With the way that she is attached to them I would go cold turkey. I will hurt you more physically and emotionally for few days but you will become something other than a milk machine. I know that you did this because it was the right thing for you child. Now it is time to do the right thing for you. I wish you luck. I will be hard and there will be tantrums, but they will only last a few days.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• If you do decide to go cold turkey, please make sure to still pump and wean your breasts slowly or you will experience awful engorgement and it could lead to plugged ducts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I agree with the cold turkey method. Yes, she will have a tantrum and she will act as though her world is ending, but if you truely feel that it's been long enough then it's best for her to stop. Just keep telling her that she's a big girl now and she doesn't need to breastfeed anymore. She'll eventually accept your choice and start drinking like a big girl.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009