Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I live in Michigan and I am NOT married to my sons father! We are together as of now! But who has custody? do we have joint or do i have full legal custody? we havent gone to court or sat down with an attorney but i want to know for piece of mind because i am wanting to leave him but want to know this before i do! so i need some serious advice

Answer Question

Asked by citygurl_1976 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • you both do as of now, until a court documents otherwise!

    Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

  • but you need to have just cause to sue for full custody, remember that!

    Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

  • It may be different there, but in Ohio, a woman has full custody until it's taken to court. That's what I was told by the courts. Every state may be different though. Try looking up custody laws in your state if you haven't already, or call an attorney. Good Luck!

    Answer by sailfishmommy at 11:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

  • Full custody is VERY difficult to get. Most likely one parent will get full PLACEMENT, but it is joint custody.
    Placement: where the child resides for more than 50% of the time.
    Custody: who has the right to decide medical care/education/ etc

    Most of the time people will get full custody if the other parent takes off, wants nothing to do with the child, or is in jail/drugs/etc.

    But it depends what the courts deem as best. Now a day, women still have a better chance of having full placement, but men are catching up. I am married to a man that fought and received full placement, then after his sons mom took off for 8 years, he got full custody as well (he got that after the first year).

    Good luck with everything.

    Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 11:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

  • In GA mom has full custody if the parents aren't married. Get a free consult with an attorney.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 12:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

  • Has paternity been legally established? as in is his name on the childs birth certificate? we live in wisconsin and just went though all this with our daughter. until we went though the state and had his name put on her birth certificate and had placement and custody orders signed, i had full custody of our daughter whether we liked it or not.

    Answer by Allie_kat1 at 1:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Babies (0-12 months)

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
professional piercers...