IS IT BENEFICIAL?

Do babies benefit from contractions if they are born via c-section? I have had 3 sections and was in labor with only one, this was my only baby that came out screaming. This is just a curious question, I am not pregnant. We will ttc#4 in a few years. Call me weird but I got a bigger satisfaction when I went into labor rather than my planned c-section. Also in my opinion none of my c-sections were medically necessary, my first baby was feet first at 39 weeks so they scheduled a section later that day, ever since that I can't find a dr that will allow a vbac. Maybe I can at least control wheather or not I go into labor since no dr will allow me to push my baby out

mar1215

Asked by mar1215 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Contractions stimulate the digestive system and prepare the respiratory system. Children born by cesarean after spontaneous labor onset spend less time in the NICU and present with fewer respiratory problems, according to studies. And cesareans performed after waiting for labor to start have better outcomes because there's no question that baby was ready to be born, so prematurity issue risks (which can persist through week 38) are reduced.

On VBAC--no doctor can force you to have a cesarean. There are people who've had VBA7C out there. No kidding. It's a matter of not submitting to the procedure. There are VBAC groups here on cafemom that can provide you with more information and possibly even a way to find a VBAC provider in your area.

It's too bad that they didn't take into account that a breech cesarean is not an indicator for having any difficulties birthing vaginally. It's your body, it should be your choice.
    Xakana

Answer by Xakana at 3:58 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• "I got a bigger satisfaction when I went into labor rather than my planned c-section"

No, that is nature doing it's job!   There are a lot of hormonal benefits-- moms get a rush.

I think you might be interested in this:     Ecstatic birth - nature's hormonal blueprint for labor

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Babies DO benefit from experiencing contractions. Contractions help expel fluid from their lungs, reducing the likelihood of respiratory problems immediately after birth.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• If it was ultimately c section, I say probably not. The benefit comes from being squeezed out. If you've had 3 sections, no doc will VBAC you. ACOG says vbacs for 1 section only. You may find a midwife though if you're willing to do a homebirth or birth center.
    Missbehaves

Answer by Missbehaves at 1:38 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• many believe that it is dangerous to take out the baby before s/he has signaled that s/he is ready. when your body naturally goes into labor, baby has somehow initiated this process. when you are induced or have a planned c-section without going into labor first, baby hasn't signalled s/he's ready.

read pushed by jennifer block. very awesome book!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• missbehaves is simply wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2009