Should I put a TV in my sons room?

Im considering getting it for his 8th birthday. Im worried he will become glued to it. For now I let him watch it in my room while us adults watch non cartoons in the living room.

Joanne28

Asked by Joanne28 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my kids have them in their rooms however, they can only watch dvd's it is not hooked up to cable or Sat tv. and no converter box. So I still have control of wha they watch
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 11:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My boys have TV's and cable in their rooms but I have parental blocks on most of the channels. I don't see aproblem with children having TV's, as long as there are rules. Like my boys have certain times that they can watch TV and certain times they can play the Video Games. At bed time, I set the sleep timer. They go to bed at 9 pm and I set the timers to turn the TV's off at 10 pm. They know that if they turn them on when they are not allowed or after 10 pm, then they lose them for a week. Literally. DH will put the TV in our closet for a week.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Both of my sons have TV's in there rooms. My 13yr old has cable hooked up but a parent block on anything PG13 and my youngest at 7 has no cable just a DVD player. So at 8 I would give the TV just not unrestricted access to cable or Sat. Have a blessed night.
    PrettyMommy78

Answer by PrettyMommy78 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I think it's a good idea. I think that if you can trust him to abide by your rules(2 hours a day max or 3 or whatever you think is good) and as long as chores and homework are done, i think it's a good idea.

you can always tell him if he is glued to it longer than you think he needs to be, punishment will be removal of the tv and if for instance, he watches an hour(or half hour or whatever overage) more than you agreed to, the next day make him watch an hour of c-span, or national geographic, or the weather channel as "punishment" LOL because although it may be boring to him, he'll still learn something and i'm sure he'll remember next time to keep an eye on the clock. Second infraction you can remove the tv for a week every fifteen minutes he was over.(i.e. first 15 mins = 1 week, 30 mins = 2 weeks etc...) or whatever consequence you come up with. These are just random ideas floating in my tiny little brain here LOL
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• the next day make him watch an hour of c-span, or national geographic, or the weather channel as "punishment"

This would not be punishment to my 8 yo. C-span maybe, but not the others. He loves the educational channels. He watches a lot of The Science Channel and The Weather Channel. He has me look in the living room to see what is on those channels. If it is something appropriate and that he is interested in, then I will unlock the channel until the program goes off.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Thanks ladies! My son only wants to watch cartoons like sponge bob and pokemon and a few shows on Disney. He really only watches TV on the weekends, mostly on rainy days. I will def get it restricted.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 2:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I do not think that is a good idea. At his age, his greatest need is to learn how to spend time with the family and to concede some of his wishes to others. To put the tv in his room will discourage that, and it will further give him the opportunity to watch a lot of stuff that he probably should not be watching and to make decisions for himself that you should be making for him.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My son has a TV in his room and he still only watches a few hours a week. You are the parent and can control how much and what they watch still.
    Anonymous