Terrible 2's/talking back

My son has started telling me no and telling me to go to time out when i ask him to do something of tell him not to do something! I don't know what to do anymore!!! It drives me crazy and it is embarrasing when we are in public!!

danielleaube

Asked by danielleaube at 11:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Congratulations! your son is his own person and its his little way of letting you know he wants some control, however he can come by it. I personally just spoke very firmly and very directly to both my sons when this talking back started and then they were able to pick out there own clothes which gave each one a sense of control. Maybe it will work for you some kids have there own ideas I wish you the very best and then the bad news is they start talking back again at about 7 years old, and there is no easy way to get them to stop!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• LOL! It never ends does it....
    danielleaube

Answer by danielleaube at 12:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You have got to be kidding right??
    He is TWO YEARS OLD. He doesn't know he is talking about. Just ignore him when he "talks back". Be the mature one in the relationship. If you make a big deal about it than he has learned how to push your buttons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My LO isn't talking back, but boy does she have an attitude. I know she is asserting herself and her independence, but I warn her twice about her attitude and then to time out we go. I wish you luck and I am not looking forward to the talking back phase of the terrible two's.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I tell DD she isn't using her manners when she acts up in little ways. and then I just ignore her or maybe will add "do you see anyone else doing x here? no. they're not. everyone is using their manners and you should too." I'm not going to let the little stuff get to me but I do want to let her know its not ok to be rude, either.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 11:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2009