Autoimmune disease....

Has anyone ever been diagnosed with any? lupus, shcleroderma, etc..? If so how does it affect you physically? And how does it affect your day to day living?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Health

• I have Fibromyalgia, am diabetic and I have something the doctors have labeled as autoimmune, possibly Lupus, but they are not sure yet. As of right now, if I could find a job, I could not work. I have a huge swollen abdomen, I am in tremendous pain, and I can't function.

BUT, I am in crisis right now. I am not always in crisis. When I am feeling more "normal" I still cannot do things the same way as others. I can't scrub my house. I simply don't have the strength. I sit on a stool in the kitchen to do dishes. I have to get down on my bum to clean the floors. And I work in five, ten or fifeteen minute increments depending on how I am feeling.
    Some times I can do things, sometimes I back out of things, based on my health. It sucks. I live with it. I also homeschool my kids. I do it so they can be near, AND so they can learn to live with illness as they are genetically predisposed to them. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I'm so sorry to hear that. I know it must be hard but it sems like you have figured out how to work around it the best way you can. I am also being tested for lupus the test came back in the middle(/) and I have slight symptoms so I will go back for more testing in Januray. I had the ANA at my PCP and further testing with the rheumatoid doc. When you say possible lupus...what do you mean?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I mean I have quite a few of the symptoms but not enough for them to check into it further. I am now going back as I am experiencing more symptoms. Lupus can be so vague that it is hard to diagnose.
    I had a positive ANA and a negative RH. I don't have the Lupus rash, but they are looking at it internally as affecting my organs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Not Lupus, but I was diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosis, which is a localized sclerodema, and not nearly so rare as formerly believed. The disease targets primarily post-menopausal women or those who have had hysterectomies. Sufferers are usually extremely reluctant to talk about the problem, mistakenly believing they have somehow contracted herpies or some other STD., and feel shamed. (Even doctors sometimes misdiagnose it as herpies or a yeast infection.) It is hard, shiny white patches on the outer genito-anal area, often surrounded by inflamed skin that usually thins, cracks and splits, sometimes to the point of bleeding. Itching and burning is usual, and contact with urine is extremely painful. The only treatment currently available is a strong, hydrocortisone cream applied topically. It is an autoimmune disease and suffering with it and dealing with it is the pits. It is often accompanied by Lupus, luckily I don't have it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I too have LS. I wouldn't wish it on my very worst enemy. As with many autoimmune dysfunctions, it has its ok days, it's really bad days and the 'I wish I could crawl in a hole and die" days...I also have Hashimotos thyroiditis, IBS, and recently diagnosed with fibro. My daughter and son both have vitiligo. I am not feeling particularly well right now, as everything seems to act up at once...LOL.... I do go to school full time, I do go to the gym regularly and I am a business owner and mom and wife. I was recently put on Cymbalta and I take synthroid, obviously, for my thyroid condition-which never gets stabilized... and I take reglan for the IBS and flexeril for the fibro... I use Dermatovate (or Clobetasol) for the LS. I only wish I could find a better way to control the LS.
    hold72

Answer by hold72 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2010