Is my toddler gifted?

My son is 2 1/2 years old. My biggest question is if he is gifted or not. I really don't care if he is, just as long as he is smart and happy I am fine with that. However, he speaks in full clear sentences and has for about 6 months. He knows all of his colors, he can count to 20 (not just in order but starting and 7 or so going backward and forward). He can recite his ABCs. He can recognize musical instruments like a clarinet, trumpet, violin. He knows some spanish. He goes through puzzles like nothing. He sings full songs like itsy bitsy spider and you r my sunshine. I just want to know if this is all normal toddler growth or if he is gifted. Does anybody know where you can go to get information regarding gifted children or what groups to talk to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would say for a boy yess hes something special!! because boys USUALLY are slower..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2008

• Yes my daughter was the same way i asked my doctor if she was way before her time and he told me she was and gave me advice on how to nurture it. My daughter started speaking at 4 months old just a few words, now shes three and she speaks better than I do lol. It's easy for me to do because mine is an only child but I just try to encourage her special talents all of them
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 5:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2008

• Most 2 year olds do not know thier ABC's and 123's so I would say that he is gifted. :) Thats very good that he knows all that. My 2 year old daughter knows some of her ABC's and some 123's. If I recite them she can say what is next. :) So yeah, I would say he is gifted given the fact he knows as much as he does. My daughter recites some words off of Dora the Explorer, the spanish words. You know, that show really is educational.
    aprilfoolsbaby8

Answer by aprilfoolsbaby8 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2008

• It sounds like you have a very bright child there! Just keep fostering his interest, encouraging him to keep learning. That's all you need to do at this age.

There is a difference between 'bright' and 'gifted'. Bright children learn quickly and remember things -- gifted children have more abstract and reasoning skills. My sister and her son are both "gifted". It's not that they knew the right answers, more that they asked the right questions.

It's a challenge to have a gifted child, not unlike having a child with learning challenges. You have to advocate for their needs and make sure the school system provides adequate programs. There are problems with social development in relation to intelligence that need to be handled.

But now -- just enjoy the time with your child. Play with them and help him to continue to foster his creativty and learning about the world around him.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2008

• I don't know much about this- to say if your child is gifted or not. My daugther is 23 months and we are experiencing the same with her. She can say her ABC's and has for two months. She knows her numbers up to about 16 and counts backward too. She knows her colors and her shapes. She mastered the shape sorter at 19 months and puzzles too are a breeze. She also sings songs from beginning to end. She can also identify many animals- in books and placements and she has begun to "read". She has memorized what the book says. She knows her name and mine and my husbands and the city in which we live. We plan on talking to our doctor about her advancements at her 2 year well check-up and realize that she is something special. As our first it will be hard not to have high expectations for children to follow. Ask your doctor and go from there. and enjoy it- some children take until 3 to do what your son is doing now.
    holtsrcool

Answer by holtsrcool at 6:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2008

• My daughter will be 2 in October and is also counting, reciting her abc's, and recognizing shapes and colors. We've also started writing and working on Spanish (thanks Dora and Diego!) I don't know if this would be considered gifted, but I think that it is a really good starting point for future academic excellence.
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 7:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2008

• Is My Toddler Gifted? - Gifted Education

A quick look at common traits of gifted toddlers - Is My Toddler Gifted? - Gifted Education is a personally written site at BellaOnline.
    www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33868.asp
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2008

• I would definitely say talk to your doctor and other moms of gifted children about ways to nurture your son and his gifted tendencies. My son is advanced for his age as well (he's 22 months and knows his ABCs and numbers to 20 by sight and is starting to recognize certain words like our dog's name, as well as a few other 'talents' lol) and his pediatrician has connected me with some great resources to help him along the way! Good luck mama!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:49 PM on Sep. 7, 2008

• Yes he is very gifted. Congrats. We are still trying to figure out how to eat without a bib....wait a minute that's my boyfriend not my son.........lol. Good Job Mom !!!!!!!!!!!
    aprildawn27

Answer by aprildawn27 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2008

• idk he maybe a little more than some kids i guess its different my daughter at 6 to 8 months could sing the abcs in english and spainish fully yet my 2 daughter couldn't until she was 2 and my 3 couldnt sing it in spainsh until she was 12 like my 1 daughter was potty trained at 6 to 9 months my 2 at 1 my 3 at 2 and half it was different for each person
    Sarahnesss

Answer by Sarahnesss at 9:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2008