Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SSI help

My husband and I moved from one apartment to another but when we called Social Security to change our address the person on the phone didn't do it correctly so our SSI check was mailed to our old address. When we called to complain we didn't get it they kept us on hold for ever and finally we figured out what happened and the sent us a replacement check and told us when we received the forwarded one to simply return it to the office. We ended up getting the forwarded check first so we went ahead and cashed it and returned the replacement check. I just received a letter claiming that two checks were cashed and we owe them $800 back again! I am really scared because I while I did keep our "return receipt" for returning the check I can't find where I filed it. I don't know what to do, we depend on that money for rent and groceries and diapers. I am so scared they are going to cut me off!


Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (1)
  • That sucks!I would try to find that reciept that you sent it back..its possible that they just lost the check...and until they find it you are responsible for it.Is there anyway for you to get direct deposit?My dd gets ssi and we have always had direct deposit,its especially easier since we moved.Maybe you can talk to someone there and explain that you sent it back and see if you can get some extra time to find the reciept.We keep everything related to dd's ssi in a seperate folder just in case.

    Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 5:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2009