Nursing: Quitting cold turkey, got a pump - need idea of . . .

how much and how often to pump to wean myself from nursing. DS getting formula in a bottle.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why are you quiting? and are you planning on giving your son the milk you pump?
    Allie_kat1

Answer by Allie_kat1 at 1:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I am not planning on giving the pumped milk to my son. I am transitioning him to formula in a bottle. I have my reasons, I'd have said them, except that anytime I talk about this in detail on here people want to make me feel guilty for wanting to quit. I have consulted with a lactation professional and she has confirmed my need to quit. So at this point I'm done and I am only interested in how best to wean myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I was just wondering, I am pro breastfeeding, but also very supportive of doing whatever a mom feels is best for her and her child. transitioning to formula would be easier for your son if you start out mixing formula and breastmilk, lik start out with 3 oz of BM and 1 oz of formula, then go to 50/50, then 3oz formula and 1oz BM. If you can't do that I would say not to actually pump at all if you are trying to get your milk supply to go down and eventually go away. If/when you get engorged to the point of becoming uncomfortable, just hand express just enough to relieve the pressure. That will signal to your body that less and less milk is required. if you would like to talk more, just add me as a friend. I promise I won't judge, just try to help and be a friend
    Allie_kat1

Answer by Allie_kat1 at 2:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Why not pump and donate that milk to the thousands of babies that truly need that golden juice to live? You could even sell it if you didn't want to donate the milk.

Are you sure there is nothing any of us can do to help you so that you can continue to give your baby the best?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Even if you want to quit completely you can still give the pumped milk now until you are no longer pumping and slowly switch to formula unless there is some sort of medical issue causing your milk to be bad. As far as the pumping goes just start out pumping on the schedule you feed and then once a week drop one pumping session and give your body a week to get used to that and then drop another. If you really need to do it quicker then you could probably get away with 3-4 days and then drop another, but you really risk mastitis then.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:18 AM on Nov. 11, 2009