Crazy ex-wife will not fly the kids to us...even though we are buying ticket...what to do?

We get the step kids for thanksgiving.We want to fly them to us the evening of the 25th, thanksgiving is on the 26th, then we will return them on sunday by a 12 hour roundtrip car ride back to the mom. We cant afford the roundtrip airfare. Although it would be easier, it would be about $700 for the 2 kids round trip. I know it is not a bad price, but we can't afford it. So my SO calls the BB and tells her that we will be buying tickets for the kids (7&8) to fly "unacompanied" minor. Its a 30-45 flight from San Jose to Ontario. Well BB says no, she doesn't want them to fly alone. This is a problem for us...SO works on the 25th, if we drive up on Thursday, we will be on the road for 12 hours. What kind of thanksgiving is that. We afford to fly back and forth with the kids as she would like us to do. If she wont allow them to fly, can we hold her in contempt. The current order says we provide transport, but it doesnt say car only

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• I have a friend that had to deal with this and every year here and her husband drive 17 hours to pick up his kids and make the drive back to drop off...
    I think it is great when parents make that effort...no days you have so many parents in the same county as their own kids yet refuse to visit.
    I understand the frustration but unless it is court ordered there is nothing you can do but drive all the way both times or half way is good as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I understand the position your in and I understand hers, I cant say that personally I would be comfortable putting my 7 and 8 y/o's on a plane alone even though the airlines do watch them to some extent I still would feel weird about it. Maybe she would be willing to drive part way if you paid for gas? I know many people who meet in the middle to help each other out.

I flew from california to virginia with my cousin alone when I was 7 and he was 12, it was scary and there was no adult to turn to when i needed someone, the attendents were nice and all but they had jobs and couldnt babysit a kid the entire flight.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:37 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I don't know of any airline that will approve that. They are too young to fly alone. I can't believe you'd even think about making kids do that. My dd let her son fly with an escort from the airline and it was still traumatic for him. All she did was make sure he got on the plane. He was terrified of flying and no one was there to comfort him. Then they forgot him when he was supposed to change planes. Go spend Thanksgiving in the town with the kids and don't traumatize them. I'm with mom on this one.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• How is she crazy if she doesn't want them to fly alone? She may not be comfortable with it. See if you all can meet in a halfway point drive or have your SO picked them up before the 25th since he works that day.
    Anonymous