BF question: my DS takes a average of 10 minutes to feed.

He's gaining weight so I'm really not cocerned about how much he gets. By the time I get ready to switch breasts, he's full. Every once in a while he takes long enough to accomplish that but not often. Anyone else have a fast eater like that? He's 11 days old.

Marri357

Asked by Marri357 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yea! My second would nurse so fast. I couldn't believe he was getting enough! But he is a big 11 month old now. He still eats fast. My first was not this way. He would linger around for almost an hour.
    You are probably already doing this, but just start on the other side next feeding. As long as he is growing and healthy there is nothing to worry about.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 12:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My oldest was a complete hog when it came to breastfeeding, complete with piggy noises. lol
    He would be completely full after 10 minutes because he would eat so fast. He would only eat on one breast too for his first couple of months, after that he would empty one breast in 5 minutes and then switch to the other side and finish that one in 5 minutes.
    If he is gaining weight, he is fine and I wouldn't worry.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It's because their stomachs are so tiny right now. It will grow here quickly and the time will get longer. A lot of times they fall alseep at one breast at this age. You just wake them and put them on the other side and they'll eat if they're hungry and if not hungry then they wont. That's all you're really shooting for at this age is 10-15min. of sucking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• my son is the same way. he nurses off each breast for 5-10 minutes at the most. he is gaining weight and is big for his age so i don't think i need to worry.
    laurenmason

Answer by laurenmason at 1:02 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• As long as he is gaining weight on track then let him nurse on whatever schedule he likes! make sure you let him nurse on the first breast for as long as he likes, and then offer the other breast if he is still hungry. DO NOT switch to the second breast after a set period of time. You may have a very full supply and he only needs one breast at a feeding. Just follow his lead, he'll tell you what to do!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Yes! My dd has always only taken one side at a time and nursed anywhere from 5 mins to 15 mins but usually around 7-8 mins per feeding. She is 5 months old and is happy and healthy. She's like me - she likes to snack a lot during the day instead of having fewer bigger meals! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2009