My daughter has had some significant attitude and Behavior changes since starting kindegarten, What can i do?

My daughter is 5 yrs old, she had never gone to preschool but has gone to daycare since she was an infant. Within the last week her teacher has noticed that she is trying to hit, and kick other kids. Just plain being mean. She is also rushing the work she does. not trying hard to do the best job i know she can do. Why is she acting out all of a sudden? and What can i do to fix this? I am completely lost, PLEASE HELP. Thank u

justyce1110

Asked by justyce1110 at 1:00 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would say she is feeling nervous and insecure, and these are classic signs of these emotions. Is it possible to spend some time with her in the classroom for the next week or so, just to reassure her that everything is ok. Get the teacher to e-mail you when problematic behaviour arises so you can discuss it with your daughter, but also get her teacher to let you know when she has done something kind or thoughtful within her class, so you have the opportunity to praise her for her 'good choices' she made in the classroom.
    dayle7

Answer by dayle7 at 1:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I have read this soooo many times from many moms on here and in my real life. It is normal. Its how she is coping. You just have to teach her to keep her hands to herself. She is most likely stressing bc of all the different changes going on in her life. It will probably continue thruogh first grade as well. By the end of 1st grade she will have learned how to focus amidst all the distractions and learn to keep her hands to herself. Dont let the teacher tell you she is a freak bc its not true. I dont know why these teachers over react when they see it all the time!
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 2:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Have a discussion with the teacher about possible rewards and punishments that can be consistent at home and at school. Also, work with the teacher to see if you can establish a pattern in her behavior. It is possible that there could be some sort of trigger ranging from having to participate in undesired activities to low blood sugar due to pre-lunch or end of day hunger.

Joanne28:
    I don't think the teacher is overreacting. Teachers should be contacting parents when kids are hitting in order to find a solution.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 2:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2009