How Many Nurses work in L&D per shift?

I want to take gifts to the hospital for all the nurses/caretakers during my stay, but I am looking for a number of about how many will be there. I plan on way over-estimating, but I'm looking for a guideline number to go off of. I am a Mary Kay Consultant and I want to put together little individual gift bags with free samples and gift certificates, so I want to make sure I have enough. Any estimates?

AAAMommy09

Asked by AAAMommy09 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depends on the hospital. I would call the L&D department and ask.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It depends on the hospital and the size of the town it serves. Our hospital has about 5 post pardem nurses and 5 L&D nurses in each shift (3 shifts a day so 30 nurses) But we only have 1 nurse help during the labor per shift (another one joins during the delivery but you hardly ever catch their name) and then only 1 post-pardem nurse
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• it depends on the hospital. the hospital i was at only had 3 or 4 on the night shift and 2 or 3 in postpartum at night. during the day they had maybe 1 or 2 more. and the nursery had 2 or 3 nurses too.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• it varies big time. some hospitals will have 20 or more and others will just have a couple. i'd call and check. i think that's a good idea. i thought about sending a card to the nurse that was with me during my entire labor but never did. darn it. ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2009