I adopted a cat in July from a shelter and have a few questions to ask fellow cat owners out there

She is a long haired tabby that was taken out of a house that had 8 other cats...she spent 8 months at the shelter (it is a "no kill" shelter)

She is always meowing to go outside so we let her outside
she is not cuddley, she keeps her distance and I get that...I figure she has been locked up too long for her to be cuddley.
I would say she is maybe 2 yrs old.

Now that I gave you an idea of the cat I will tell you my big concern and I don't know if it's a big deal or not but I don't want to take her to a vet and have them say she is fine...
She has a bump on the upper part of her neck and below the chin....too much fur and she won't let us look but we touch and it's the size of an m&m...could this be a war wound from another cat?
or maybe a tumor?
I don't know I haven't had a cat in over a decade

cookmom69

Asked by cookmom69 at 1:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Pets

• i would take her to the vet and have them run a blood test for feline lukimia my cat has it and he has some bumps under his chin and on his head. it is caused by fights between cats or saliva urine and blood, so i would take the cat to the vet my cat has it also and they can spread it to other cats but not humans
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 2:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• She is a little young to have lumps though it's not impossible. If u had to guess i would say it is probably acne. If you use plastic bowls switch to metal and you might try rubbing witch hazel or a mild acne pad over it. One of my cats gets acne and sometimes the zits are huge and look like they could be tumors. I would try this and see if there is a change but if not a trip to the vet maybe a good idea. Cats don't get tumors as often as dogs so when they do they tend to be serious.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• eosinophilic granuloma

maybe check into this. We jsut got a shelter baby in July and he has been plagued with the above mentioned disease. I guess it is more common than people think and it tends to be in and or around the mouth.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I would imagine the shelter she got the cat at would have had her tested for feluk considering the situation she was in before being rescued. In which case I would call the shelter up and ask them for the specifics on whether she was tested, the results and whether she was vaccinated for feluk. Does the lump appear to be getting larger? Does it feel like it is loose under the skin, or attached? How long has the lump been there? Does it appear to be bothering the cat ie: is she scratching at it, attempting to lick it etc.. These are questions the OP needs to figure out, and if she decides to take the cat in to have it checked, she can at least give the vet a better idea of what her worries and concerns are. If you can get someone else to help you in holding the cat still and lifting her head, so you can wet the fur slightly in order to part it from the lump better and get a much better look.
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 10:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2009