Can a landlord kick you out because you have your children over everyother weekend?

i am just woundering if a landlord can do that or not...

pooh26

Asked by pooh26 at 2:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• no not legal as long as they do not live there no they can not kick u out
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 2:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You should read your contract if it says anything about that, and if it don't then they shouldn't be able to do that.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• pretty sure its a fire issue- I think there's a limit to how many people can live in a place based on rooms. since they're your kids, I can see why they would interpret that as living with you, even if you only have them on weekends.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:02 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Search for a tenants right organization in your area.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I do not think they can do that. I dont know what state you are in, but in IN I dont think they can say anything about overnight guest untill they have been there longer then 2 weeks, and they are not disturbing the peace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• check your contract! some people put that in there. If not and they are threatning you find tenant rights lawyer and see.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• depends on the contract. If it is silent to the amount of people, then probably not. It just dependson how it was worded and if you were up front about it when signing the lease.
    Anonymous

• Equal Opportunity Housing laws prevent landlords for making rental decisions and policies that discriminate based on race, religion, children, service animals, citizenship status, etc. SUPER illegal.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I live in Oregon and we have the equal housing rights, you have renters rights there should be a book with ALL your renters rights at a local library. I believe it is extremly illeagal to kick you out of your house because of children. Unless you signed a contract good luck.
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2009