Did you smoke while breastfeeding?

I quit days after (surprise!) I found out I was pregnant but hubby never did. I started sneaking cigs when LO was 2 months & now she is 3 1/2 months and I am back to being a smoker :( I EBF & I never smoke around her or indoors but I feel very guilty about it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well... it's not ideal. But, it's better than NOT breastfeeding. How much are you smoking per day? Keep it to an absolute minimum and make sure to wash hands/change shirts after you smoke.
    Life it too short for guilt. Either quit, or accept it. No one is perfect.
    I would honestly be more concerned about the long-term effects of having smoking parents... she will be at greater risk for smoking when she gets older. I would try to quit for that reason alone (I quit when I conceived my first as well... smoked socially after that and have since quit for good. It makes me ill now).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:14 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I didn't breastfeed my children but i had a friend who smoked and breastfeed so i dont really know the effects .... i would worry u can pass some stuff on to the baby tho

How does does smoking affect breastfeeding?

Smoking has been linked to:

* Earlier weaning. One study showed that the heaviest smokers tend to wean the earliest.
    * Lower milk production
    * Interference with milk let-down
    * Lower levels of prolactin. The hormone prolactin must be present for milk synthesis to occur.
    * One study (Laurberg 2004) indicated that smoking mothers who live in areas of mild to moderate iodine deficiency have less iodine in their breastmilk (needed for baby's thyroid function) compared to nonsmoking mothers. The study authors suggested that breastfeeding mothers who smoke consider taking an iodine supplement.
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 3:18 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I have under 5 a day. I always try to smoke as little as possible. I'm kind of trying to quit right now. I'm telling myself only 2 today.
    My daughter is 8 months old
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I know its hard, but quit smoking. Not just for your infant baby, but for your future adult child. Don't you want to be alive and healthy when she gets married has her own kids...

I quit after 9 yrs when I saw my Father in law die of lung cancer. It took a year after he spent the first whole day in bed before he actually died. It was really hard. Changing bed pans, bed sores, vomiting, medications... This man fought in WWII, was a POW had his leg amputated in the field, and he died of lung cancer.

If you quit once you can do it again, you just need to find your inspiration to stick with it. Good luck.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 9:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i agree to do your best to quit but from my family members' experience, i know that is hard! but i also agree that breastfeeding and smoking is better than formula feeding and smoking. gl quitting mama!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I took a bf class when I was pregnant and the LC said that it is still better to bf if you are a smoker than to use formula! Crazy, huh? She also added to smoke immediately after feeding and not right before.
    My personal opinion? It so selfish! Sorry, just being honest!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• All the restrictions you had during pregnancy apply while breastfeeding. It all goes into the milk just as it all went to baby into the whomb.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2009