is this enough, two questions

my son is two weeks old and i am breastfeeding him, he was born a preemie so he is having trouble latchin onso i pump the milk and give it to him in a bottle i noticed that sometimes i have 1-2 oz or sometimes i have 2-3 oz, well i am just wondering if the 1-2oz is enough for him? i feed him every 2-3 hrs. also i have a one yr he was breastfed until he was 4 months well now he is attampting to drink his baby brother's milk (he does not finish it all sometimes) so he drinks the remainin. lol he runs so i can't catch him, i was just wondering if that is normal or not?

waterlily89

Asked by waterlily89 at 3:07 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Normal, and normal... but, you should really get working on getting your babe to latch on. How often are you trying? Preemies can be a little difficult, but if you keep at it, they will get the hang of it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I can't help you with the preemie, but that is great that the other one is drinking the breastmilk! It's beneficial and I did that with mine - let the older one drink the extra!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• When My son was born i pumped about 2 oz every 3 hours and that was with squeezing my breasts at the end(i think i was trying to wring them out) . I remember looking at the bottles crying... this can't possibly be enough! But it was, my Dr and his Dr said it was the perfect amount.

The other thing is soo cute! My mother in-law said that when my husband was a baby his big sister (6 at the time) would steal his bottle and hide under the crib drinking it. It was formula not breast milk, but that didn't stop that sister of his!
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• the breast milk will be great for your older son. =) i saw on the news before a story of a woman pumping BM for a man with cancer to help him out, and he claimed it made him feel much better. generally breastmilk would be healthy for anyone, although i wouldn't want to drink a lot of it because it's high in fat. hehe

sorry i don't know the answer to the other question. do you have a lactation consultant you can talk to? or LLL in your town. gl!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• yeah i try to latch him on everytime he has the patience for it lol cause majority of the time he is calm and collected and when he does latch on he stays latched on for like 3 minutes then just stops and so i have to pump the rest cause he won't open his mouth lol but he is still trying to nuzzle and eat
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It is normal for your older child to want what your younger child has. It's important to not let the older child regress though, because that will lead to them becoming dependent on what they once had. It is normal for you to produce less one day the you did the day before. If your younger child requires more, then they'll let you know. If your child seems content with what they've got, then it's okay to leave it at that. Your younger child will let you know when they want more.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2009