Are you close to your siblings

would you consider yourselves friends? Do you hang out? How often and what kinds of things do you do together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• No not at all. I have 3 brothers and 3 sisters and have nothing much to do with them at all. I am the only one to have moved from the immediate area where we grew up. Only 2 of them ever came to visit (4 hours away) even though I had gone back there at least monthly. I stopped making the effort and never heard from any of them then. I think it has been close to 4 years since I have talked to at least 4 of them and 1.5 years since I have talked with the other 2. I really don't miss them at all and I guess that tells me I don't need them in my life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Yea it sucks I'm going through a similar situaition. my Mom is extremely toxic and after having DS we moved back near the family and in the last year since moving I just view my family so different. All the messed up things my Mom has done have come back to haunt me because now that I'm a Mom I can't imagine how and why she raised us the way she did. I can't let these feelings go while trying to have a superficiial relationship with her so I am in the process of cutting her out too. I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers and none have kids. I moved closer to home to have that support and my sister won't even go to the flippin movies with me. She lives in the apt RIGHT upstairs from us. I'm so sick and tired of begging for a sisiter/ friend she makes no time for me and then turns it around on me. I am the oldest and I practically raised my siblings and now at 33 yo when I need them the most I feel like I can't count on them for shit
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• funny you should ask this question. i've just decided to distance myself from my sister. i'm not ending our relationship but definitely putting some distance in there. we are totally opposite when it comes to our relationships- i'm more emotional and sensitive and she is more closed-off and insensitive. i'm sick of feeling brushed off by her and realized i can't change her so this is the best way for me to handle the situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• con't... it's so painful but like you I rather just cut them out and cut my losses because the drama they cause is really starting to affect me. My son and my Husband are my family now that's how I see it.
    Anonymous

• ANON 3;48 #1..lol....yes that's how I feel...however I tried the superficial BS and it's even harder and I can't distance so much because she'll just knock on my door (lives upstairs) and act like everythign is all good.She did that the other day and I opened the door and she's like "oh my friend is here" knowing full well I would'nt appreciate that. I'm so sick of it I'm sick of feeling invisible. I feel like they are just around to get attention and love from DS because it makes them feel good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• There's 3 of us, I'm the oldest, I'm friends with my middle sister, we hang out, double date, go to each others places for dinners or parties, play on the same hockey team, meet for coffee every sunday. I'm not as close with my youngest sister, she's almost 10 years younger then me and we don't have much in common other then relatives lol.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• blueliner...that makes sense I would think that is what sister's do but not mine. I'm the oldest 33 the next is 28 and the baby sister is 22 so we are actually clser in age but the younger 2 are super close and I basically yhave a superficial relationship with both :-( ,,,I posted the Q
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We are all surprisingly close, with the exception of my oldest sister (very selfish and self-involved, thinks only of herself). There are eight of us altogether, 6 girls, 2 boys. My younger sisters and I get together for lunch at least once a week. We always have a good time. :-)
    cheez1e

Answer by cheez1e at 7:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I have one sister living and our brother died 5 years ago. We were all very close when he was living and always enjoyed our times together. None of us lived in the same town, but we stayed in touch and got together several times a year. Our brother died suddenly of a heart attack, and my sister and I became even closer. We talk almost every day, and even though she lives 2 1/2 hours away from me, we get together as often as we can. We don't agree on a lot of things, but we love and respect each other.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• There's 4 of us, my sister, me, then two brothers and I would say we're pretty close. I live in a diff country now so obviously I dont get to see them as much. When we were all living together at home there were constant fights, but after we all got our own homes we became really close. I used to talk to my sister every day, but now not so much :( I dont really know what to talk about with the youngest brother, hes only 12. But I never know what to talk to him about. Xboxes arent really my thing. But ya I think I am close to my siblings. My mother not so much
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:22 AM on Nov. 11, 2009