Why are women so uneducated about their bodies?

There has been quite a bit of talk about the "vagina". The vagina is a fibromuscular tubular tract leading from the uterus to the exterior of the body. What everyone is actually talking about is their vulva. The vulva refers to the external genital organs of the female.
I don't know why it is driving me crazy, but it is. Use the right word people! lol
The size of labia majora, the labia menora, and the clitoris varies from woman to woman. Every shape is NORMAL for them. If yours doesn't look like what everyone considers "pretty" or "normal" it is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Health

• I am shocked that in this day and age that there are still women who admit that nobody at home would discuss things like female body parts, menstrution,pregnancy,sex. It is really amazing and so so wrong. WAy back in the 1950's when people were said to be uptight and prim and proper, my Mom told me all about everything. My friends' Moms did too. There was no topic we were not able to discuss.
    It is a wonderful thing to be educated and especially educated about your body--and your kids' bodies. WHy wait for your Doctor to know these things and take care of it for you? LOL. How lazy!

Go to the Library and fill in the gaps in your knowledge. It is NOT a "dirty" subject! I bet some of you and your Moms think "Nice people don't talk about those things". I feel so sorry for you!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I'm aware of all of this, not uneducated about it by any means. It's a cultural thing. Women just refer to their vulva's as vagina's, have since childhood. Not that big a deal. What annoys me is all the stupid cutesy words, vajayjay, girly parts, cooch, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It also bothers me that everyone thinks that there is only one way to look. No one has the same nose or ears, so why would their vulva look the same?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i think women in general are uneducated about a lot of things!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I'm not uneducated about my body. Granted I do not know everything, but I know that my vulva and clitoris are external parts, and I can't even bring myself to call them a "vagina." It bugs me sometimes, too. The cutesy words don't bother me too bad, though. Some people are really just too uncomfortable to use the right word(s). What really bugs me, though, are the women who don't educate themselves about their options during birth. Like the ones who (seriously) do not think that it is possible to give birth without drugs. That is a personal preference, not a necessity. What also bugs me, on the same topic, is women who seem to know absolutely nothing about the birth process, when they have several children. I overheard someone I work with (who has two children) saying something like how it's the cervix that provides nutrients to the baby, instead of the placenta.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Oh, please! Most woman are afraid of the words! They talk about pain "down there", they teach their children cute names for vagina, vulvas, penises, breasts, etc. I don't know if it is because of a lack of education or if they are the victims of poor parenting themselves.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think a better question would be "Why are some women remarkably snotty and judgemental?"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Going along with the misinformation we have about our bodies: Periods rarely come every 28 days with ovulation on day 14. This is an average given to us back in grade school(btw who has 'normal' cycles in grade school and high school?) that is old and outdated. Anyone who has gone through many months of TTC really gets to know their body. Using tempurate to find out when you have ovulated as well as vaginal fluids. I had no idea what a Leutal phase was until I was 30.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 8:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i really dont care. If some women are uncomfortable, that is thier choice. Just becasue one person is comfortale calling what it is, doesnt mean everyone else has to follow suit with that person.
    twinmamaof3

Answer by twinmamaof3 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Why are women men so uneducated about their bodies? 

As well.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2009