My blood sugar was 205. I can't deny it any longer. I know I am diabetic. None of this pre stuff.

My question is how do you control your diabetes and your eating habits? I need to take charge.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Health

• My dad has struggled w/ type 2 for almost 20 years, and I am pre-diabetic, and I can tell you with total certainty that the key is EXERCISE. Exercise does amazing things to your blood sugar. They recently told my dad that if he didn't get himself up and walking every day he was going to die. I started walking about 6 mos. ago and dropped 30 lbs doing it, and my sugars went to normal really quick. Plus, exercise also boosts your mood dramatically, which does wonders for your feelings of being in control of your life. AND it becomes semi-addicting - you really do start looking forward to it every day. You just have to push on and get through the "Oh, I don't want to today. Maybe tomorrow." stage. Good luck!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• The heathiest diet for type 2 diabetes is a low fat vegan diet: http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20081001/vegan-diet-good-type-2-diabetes

You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library:  http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

Answer by rkoloms at 7:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I'm a type 2 diabetic and I've found that lowering the amount of carbs I eat GREATLY affects my blood sugar along with exercise (when I have time.)

The average American diet is overloaded with carbs. Try cutting back on the amount of bread, potatoes, rice, corn, peas, squash, pasta and most cereals. Go for the high fiber carb foods like All Bran, lentils, cooked dry beans, apples, etc (fiber helps negate the effect of carbs on your body). Cut back on your consumption of milk & yogurt (other dairy products like cheese have few carbs). Load your plate with lean meats, steamed veggies and fresh veggies, THEN add about 1/2 to 1 cup of carb foods. Totally cut out sugary drinks and juices; drink plenty of water. For snacks, hard boiled eggs, celery with cream cheese, cottage cheese, cheese sticks, whole wheat crackers with peanut butter or hummus, apple slices with peanut butter, or a handful of nuts work great.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Just to clarify - my answer was contingent on the assumption that you already do all the diabetes diet stuff, like counting carbs and watching the sugary stuff. That is of course #1 on the scale of importance.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 10:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Be sure to watch for products that say "sugar free" which can be misleading. They still may have an ingredient which is called sugar alcohol. My son is diabetic and we found that out over the years. There is another ingredient to look for that is actually "sugar" but I can't think of it at this time. if i remember I'll post it here or PM you. Definitely watch your carb intake. When I was pregnant with my first son i was "borderline diabetic". The doc put me on a 1500 carb diet. I wanted to kiss that doctor because not only did it keep my sugar levels low but I also lost six pounds plus all my baby weight after I had my son LOLLLL It takes some discipline. I won't lie, I snuck a chocolate shake here and there and a few cookies or two, it's just eating stuff in moderation when it comes to things with sugar in them. Try to keep the sugar count under 15 grams. Carbs too if you can.

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Best answer I can give is go see a doctor. There are several sub types of type 2 diabetes, some can be controlled with diet and exercise alone some cannot. Some diets may work for some and not others. My dad is a Type 2 brittle. He takes 3 different kinds of insulin, plus watches what he eats. Some days certain things wont effect him other days it will. Basicaly see a doctor and keep a journal of what you eat take your sugars when you wake up before and after you eat to see how food is effecting your sugars. If you find something is affecting it then take it out of your diet. Stick with lean meats and non starchy vegetables. Take it one day at a time and keep all temptation foods outta the house. Increase your activity, but also check your sugars before and after and major workouts so as to not crash. HTH, o and try not to stress, go for a walk to get rid of some stress. stress=higher numbers, walking = lowers numbers
    Mom2Joseph2007

Answer by Mom2Joseph2007 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Check your sugar...as often as you are supposed to. Keep a journal of things you are eating, to show your Dr. Definitely Walking...my husband has known he is diabetic for 15 years now, and still is not trying to control it like he should. It can cause so many problems. Listen to the Dr's advice..take your meds please....and try to take care of yourself.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2009